What Type of Water Do You Give Your Cat?

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish gets unfiltered well water in a bowl that is changed faithfully twice a day which she never touches. She also gets significant amounts of the same water mixed with her wet food which she will eat no matter how watery.

Is there some problem with iron in the water and cats? Our water does have significant iron. I don't like the taste of it, but only because it is minerally. I hate Evian for the same reason.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a water filter pitcher so I give him that into his water dish which I haven't seen him drink out of in almost a year, back when he was a kitten who had dry food for a couple weeks. Sometimes I'll use room temperature Ice Mountain bottled water if he's being picky about the level of temperature of his rehydrated freeze-dried raw. :lol:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Evian spelled backwards is naive! I used to give girlfriends a hard time. I'm near produce, across the street so city water makes me nervous but so does plastic water bottles! I have one friend with breast cancer and one with a brain tumor. What is poisoning us?

voyager

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They drink our household water from a catchment system: 5 micron filtered rainwater.
Because of the prevalence of volcanic gasses in our area the rain fall can be moderately acid.
But I always see them drinking from puddles.
They are outdoor cat after all.
That negates any benefits from the household water.

I've noticed that one of the cats has the habit of wiping the surface of the water in their bowls with his paw, as if he were trying to open up a coating of scum on the surface [my interpretation].
He did that even as a kitten, though.

35 year catdad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have not personally conducted any scientific studies,

but if you search "Fluoride bad for cats" or similar, you will see many articles talking about risks for kidneys, bladder, stomach, thyroid, and many other potential problems

that can arise when cats get too much fluoride. Seems that they get plenty from "meals" and other meat based ingredients that contain bone.

Reportedly. the flouride that the chickens, etc... have consumed is passed through to the Kitties through the bones.

Additionally, I saw one article at Feline-Nutrition.org that stated that "Brita-type filters do not remove fluoride"

and municipal water sources are notorious for adding more fluoride than we need.

After I lost one of my Babies to cancer a few years ago, I became much more serious about Feline Nutrition and one of the books I purchased

mentioned that flouride was bad for them. (Dr Pitcairn's or Dr Pierson's I expect.) So, I researched bottled water and found that Deer Park is one

of the more consistent and pure brands out there, it has less fluoride than many others,

and it is affordable when you buy the 3 Liter bottles on sale (often around 50 cents) so we have been drinking it ever since.

Please recycle the bottles!
I read that chlorine causes bladder cancer in all of its forms.
I think I believe it.
I lost an almost 18 yr old kitty and my Mom to it age 73 , a friends Mom died of it age 72 , and another 52 yr old friend had it. All drank unfiltered local tap water.
I make my own charcoal tap water filters and thats what we all drink.
Bay Area of California mixes ammonia with chlorine for our tap water and it KILLS FISH fast!! But.. thats not enough...so in goes the cheap flouride (many different sources of it) but they keep costs down and use the least expensive type.

Fluoride is causing brittle teeth in teenagers from overload. Tea has it naturally. Fluoride causes hypothyroid (low) in humans too. Some plastics used in bottled water put off estrogen type molecules, so if I did bottled, I would research what my brand used. I put a little 2.5 watt submersible pump in my large pyrex glass water bowl and it draws them to drink more. They just dont like stainless bowls VS ceramic or clear glass.
they play with the tiny fountain:) and drink way more. I have 3 cats and use 5 water bowls. Cats like choices and sometimes freshest isnt favored.

Last edited: