What type of interesting wild animals do you have by you?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here down under we have possums (who knock on our back door for carrots!!), snakes, spiders, foxes, rabbits, feral cats, lots and lots of birds!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have many "interesting" critters about but we have a lot of cute bunnies and squirrels! I used to see Opposums, skunks, and racoons..but I haven't seen any of those in a long while....oh yeah, I did see a beaver not too long ago.

Here's a couple pics of the bunnies:

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've seen a badger, we also have a swampy area w/ ducks nearby. There are the suburban/rural wild life too, deer, skunks, opussums, squirrells birdies. We have one feral cat that lives in the abandoned house down the road, (other neighboors feed it). The next door cat visits- she's really old, has no tail and a thryoid condition- but she is tough- my cats are scared to death of her!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hmm...I think we have mainly the regular north american wildlife (normal to me anyway!). I did get to see a Bald Egal very close up the other day! I was so excited! We were driving down a back road and had to slow down. It was eating something in the middle of the road! We were litterally 15-20 feet away before it flew off. My mother also saw one recently. That was about the highlight of my week!

We also had a big bird of some kind swoop down on us when we were stargazing. My stepbrother guessed it was an owl but I'm not sure...it was big-that is for sure! And I think there were 2 becaue I kept hearing calls in different directions.

What else...we have water mocasins here but I've never seen one, THANKFULLY! I think it was a bobcat we had near here once when I was in high school. That's all the 'unusual' stuff I know of.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most interesting wild animal that I saw here was a badger that tried to dig a hole in my front yard. I had 5 large dogs at the time and they circled him as he dug and he kept them all at bay. I called the dogs off and chased it away by clanging 2 pots together.

We have fox, coyotes, bobcats, deer, lots of birds of prey (owls, hawks, falcons) and your typical squirrels, racoons, possums. We've kept a list of birds that we've seen and the list is over 100 - my favorite is the coocoo bird. We had a mockingbird that used to imitate the sound of my greyhound whining.

We do have cougars in the area - never saw one but found a deer carcass at the back of our property that had been disembowled and licked clean - coyotes will scatter the bones and this wasn't the case. We assume that we have a cougar near by.