What type of cat is the best companion for a Siamese/Himalaya mix?

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

The cat I have is a 8 year old neutered male Siamese and Himalaya mix. He craves attention, loves talking, playing, but he isn't much of a cuddlier. When i was living with my mom and brother, we had no problem with giving him affection and attention since there were three people in the house. Since I moved in with my husband, I feel bad since I'm not able to give him the attention he needs due to work. He even gets a lonely that he starts whining for attention the second one of us walks away or isn't there which makes me feel horrible :(. I would love a cat that he could get along with and make him comfortable Me and my husband want to get him a friend that he can be with when we are gone. We are thinking about getting a female cat since I've heard male cat's are more accepting of female cats and get along with them easier rather than another male. However, we are not sure exactly of what type of cat to get. Would it be ideal to get a cat that also has a lot of energy and needs a lot of affection so they could comfort each other? Or would it be better to get a more laid back cat that doesn't need as much attention, but does have energy. I would love a cuddly cat if possible since my cat isn't a cuddlier. I've heard ragdolls are good lap cats, but I'm not sure if a ragdoll will be a good companion for a Siamese cat since they are pretty laid back. I was also thinking about another Siamese mix, but I'm not sure if putting two needy cats together will work or if they would get along. I would appreciate any suggestions on what personality would be ideal for my baby :)!

I have a picture of him as my avatar and I have uploaded some pictures of him on my album if anyone is curious to what he looks like.

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I'm not much use with advice but wanted to say how cute he is! I'm sure someone knowledgable will be along shortly with some suggestions :) Good luck!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get another cat that is the same temperament and has the same energy level. A female kitten would work well, because my experience with older females is that they are pretty set in their ways and 'rule' the roost' when it comes to males. One that is raised with your boy would have the high energy 'kitten' level at first and learn to accept him much quicker. I agree that two cats definitely keep each other company and provide entertainment and company for each other. I have two neutered males with opposite temperaments and spend a lot of times 'protecting' my laid back one and finding things to do for my excitable one. The excitable one just loves to terrorize the other. No matter what you end up with, GOOD LUCK and here's to many years of friendship and bonding for your two babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Willion! He sure is a cutie and he absolutely loves being the center of attention. You're two babies are too adorable as well. :)

I appreciate you're advice Di. I wanted to make sure getting a cat with the same temperament and energy level is a smart idea. I would love a female kitten, but I'm also alright with adopting a cat that is a little older. I will just have to see which cat I bond with and think will be the best companion for my cat when I'm looking at the shelter or a rescue. I know some females can be set in their ways, but that isn't always a bad thing. The good thing about cats that are a little older is you know their personality and temperament. But with kittens, it is difficult to predict how they will behave once they are older. But then again that's not always true since my baby acts exactly the same as he did when he was a kitten. But I do believe it 's easier for kittens to accept another cat than a cat that is older. I know having a companion will keep him company and give him someone to play with. At the time we adopted him, he didn't need a companion since he had so many people giving him attention and he was never alone. I do wish we would've got another cat with him though since it would be much easier to introduce them when they we're younger. I didn't realize having two cats with different temperaments could be difficult since you have to protect you're laid back cat, but also keep you're energetic cat entertained. Thank you for sharing that information with me. I think a energetic cat will fit perfectly with my cat since they will both be eager for play time and to just be around each other.
 Thank you again and hopefully everything goes well :)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,

The cat I have is a 8 year old neutered male Siamese and Himalaya mix. He craves attention, loves talking, playing, but he isn't much of a cuddlier. When i was living with my mom and brother, we had no problem with giving him affection and attention since there were three people in the house. Since I moved in with my husband, I feel bad since I'm not able to give him the attention he needs due to work. He even gets a lonely that he starts whining for attention the second one of us walks away or isn't there which makes me feel horrible :(. I would love a cat that he could get along with and make him comfortable Me and my husband want to get him a friend that he can be with when we are gone. We are thinking about getting a female cat since I've heard male cat's are more accepting of female cats and get along with them easier
rather than another male. However, we are not sure exactly of what type of catto get. Would it be ideal to get a cat that also has a lot of energy and needs a lot of affection so they could comfort each other? Or would it be better to get a more laid back cat that doesn't need as much attention, but does have energy. I would love a cuddly cat if possible since my cat isn't a cuddlier. I've heard ragdolls are good lap cats, but I'm not sure if a ragdoll will be a good
companion for a Siamese cat since they are pretty laid back. I was also thinking about another Siamese mix, but I'm not sure if putting two needy cats together will work or if they would get along. I would appreciate any suggestions on what personality would be ideal for my baby :)!

I have a picture of him as my avatar and I have uploaded some pictures of him
on my album if anyone is curious to what he looks like.
I have a siamese and his friend/little brother is a moggy from the street. It was love at first sight. But whisky is 1 year and blighty 6 months old.
I think with siamese the 'make' of the other cat doesn't really matter.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  Siamese and Himalayans  ( pointed Persians)  are  opposites in many ways,   so it would be very hard to generalize about the best sort of companion for a cat that really was a mix of those two breeds.    It makes sense to just go by how your cat is as an individual -- and it sounds like that IS what you're trying to do.

If your cat ( who is VERY cute!)  is really high energy,  I agree that I would lean toward that end of the spectrum in choosing another cat.   

But keep in mind that if you choose a very playful kitten at the shelter,  she might not stay that energetic as an adult.    I would not rule out the adult cats --  it actually may be easier to tell what their real personality is like.

A middle aged neutered male cat could probably get along with either a male or female kitten or neutered / spayed adult,  as long as the introduction is done gradually and carefully.   It is usually easier to introduce a kitten, but many of the members here have sucessfully integrated adults.   For example,  I had a 12 year old Siamese mix  neutered male  and introduced an 11 month old  neutered male Siamese .  I just kept the new guy in his own room for 2 weeks,  and followed the advice for things like trading items with their scent on it,  then the next step letting them see a glimpse of each other but not actually interact,  and finally supervised visits ,  then totally integrating them.  and they ended up being very close friends.  

I would think more about trying to match up energy level and a social personality with other cats as well as humans.   If you adopt from a shelter where the cats are kept in rooms together,  you can find how they interact with other cats.    Or a rescue group where they're living in foster homes and they really have had a good chance to see their personality.    If you can work with a rescue like that,  I do think another Siamese mix  may be a good idea.

There CAN sometimes be some jealousy when you have two or more needy cats.   But  remember that many people who do have Siamese  or Oriental cats have more than one.   and they also tend to be quite social with other cats especially cats of their own kind or at least similar activity and intelligence.   

You mentioned Ragdolls   They are actually often NOT lap cats.   They do tend to be very friendly and affectionate cats  who often will follow their people around and want to be with you,   but like many large, longhair cats, they often prefer to sit near you rather than actually ON you.  

If you are considering a pedigreed kitten or cat,  and you're trying to combine playful / energetic  AND  cuddly lap cat,  some other breed possibilities would be   Tonkinese  or Burmese.

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello  Stewball,

I wouldn't mind another breed of cat, even a tabby or black cat. I was thinking about another Siamese mix since I know Siamese cats are known for having lots of energy, demanding, need lots of affection, curious, affectionate, mischievous intelligent, ect. Which basically describes my cat 100%. I'm not saying other breeds of cats won't have these qualities as well, but it's more common in Siamese cats and I believe if you have two cats with the same personality/temperament, that they can compliment each other.

Hello maewkaew,

My cat defentely has the personality and attitude of a Siamese cat. The only Himalayan features he has is his fluffy coat and the build of his body, although he doesn't have a flat face. He is not laid back like most Persians or Himmy's and he demands lots of attention, but he is not a cuddlier. I am trying to find another cat that has a similar personality as him, so they can keep each other entertained and happy.

Thank you, you're babies are very cute also! My cat does get a lot of attention sometimes since it is odd to see a Siamese cat with long hair and he is often mistaken as a Ragdoll ha ha. I really do need another cat with high energy to keep up with him. I've been debating over an adult or kitten. I know kittens are very playful and energetic, but they can also grow out of that phase. However, it is much easier to introduce a kitten to another cat and have them be accepted by the already existing cat. Adult cats are good since they already have their personalities developed and you know what you get. But I think it would be more difficult introducing two adult cats.

That's really cool, I never knew two neutered male cats could get along. I've always heard to get opposite genders since they get along the best. I know it is easier to integrate kittens, but it is also difficult to know what their personalities will be when they are older. If I do get a adult cat, I will have to be careful when introducing them and take things slower than if I had a kitten.

My main goal is to find a companion that matches my cat's personality and can be a good companion for him. I won't rule out other breeds of cats, but I know that another Siamese cat could be a great companion for a existing Siamese cat since they have similar personalities. I do plan to adopt from a shelter or recuse organization and get a cat/kitten that gets along with other cats.

One thing I'm worried about most is the jealousy factor. I know that my cat is super jealousy and demands every bit of attention. I will have to be careful and give both cats equal attention. That's exactly why I was thinking of getting another Siamese mix since I know the breed tends naturally be very social, intelligent, and energetic.

Thank you for giving me information on Ragdolls. I always thought they we're lap cats. The way you described the Ragdoll sounds a lot like my cat! He is very friendly and affection. He also loves to follow everyone around, but he prefers to sit next to us rather than on us. I will have to look up information about a Tonkinese  or Burmese since I don't know much about them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you are on the right track with the advice here and what you are thinking.  Patience is key with some introductions; how long it takes varies from cat to cat.  Good luck!!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello  Stewball,
I wouldn't mind another breed of cat, even a tabby or black cat. I was thinking about another Siamese mix since I know Siamese cats are known for having lots of energy, demanding, need lots of affection, curious, affectionate, mischievous intelligent, ect. Which basically describes my cat 100%. I'm not saying other breeds of cats won't have these qualities as well, but it's more common in Siamese cats and I believe if you have two cats with the same personality/temperament, that they can compliment each other.
Hello maewkaew,
My cat defentely has the personality and attitude of a Siamese cat. The only Himalayan features he has is his fluffy coat and the build of his body, although he doesn't have a flat face. He is not laid back like most Persians or Himmy's and he demands lots of attention, but he is not a cuddlier. I am trying to find another cat that has a similar personality as him, so they can keep each other entertained and happy.
Thank you, you're babies are very cute also! My cat does get a lot of attention sometimes since it is odd to see a Siamese cat with long hair and he is often mistaken as a Ragdoll ha ha. I really do need another cat with high energy to keep up with him. I've been debating over an adult or kitten. I know kittens are very playful and energetic, but they can also grow out of that phase. However, it is much easier to introduce a kitten to another cat and have them be accepted by the already existing cat. Adult cats are good since they already have their personalities developed and you know what you get. But I
think it would be more difficult introducing two adult cats.
That's really cool, I never knew two neutered male cats could get along. I've always heard to get opposite genders since they get along the best. I know it is easier to integrate kittens, but it is also difficult to know what their personalities will be when they are older. If I do get a adult cat, I will have to be careful when introducing them and take things slower than if I had a kitten.
My main goal is to find a companion that matches my cat's personality and can be a good companion for him. I won't rule out other breeds of cats, but I know that another Siamese cat could be a great companion for a existing Siamese cat since they have similar personalities. I do plan to adopt from a shelter or recuse organization and get a cat/kitten that gets along with other cats.
One thing I'm worried about most is the jealousy factor. I know that my cat is super jealousy and demands every bit of attention. I will have to be careful and give both cats equal attention. That's exactly why I was thinking of getting another Siamese mix since I know the breed tends naturally be very social, intelligent, and energetic.
Thank you for giving me information on Ragdolls. I always thought they we're lap cats. The way you described the Ragdoll sounds a lot like my cat! He is very friendly and affection. He also loves to follow everyone around, but he prefers to sit next to us rather than on us. I will have to look up information about a Tonkinese  or Burmese since I don't know much about them.
Strange enough whisky, an abandoned siamese roughly a year old, has only just started to show signs of being a siamese. He does sit on my lap for hours until I have to put him on my chair, do what I have to do, come back and replacehhim on my knee. In the house I wear a long house dress and
:blush2:
Whisky likes to go inside my dress to go to sleep.
My two last cats did that too. Actually it's a lovely feeling. Soft fur on my legs.
Blighty attacks him from above and sometimes from inside but he doesn't like to be covered unless I'm making my bed which I have to do with both of them mucking about on it!
Blighty a moggy from the street has so much energy. They race through the house, backwards and forwards sounding likea herd elephants.
I had wanted 2 females to be honest but that's how the chips fall.
I rescued 2 males. They bonded quickly. There's about six months difference between them. Whisky used to wash blighty non stop with a heavy paw. Still does but now they wash each other. Only problem is whisky's a bit of a bully. Probably teaching blighty that he's top cat. I wish he'd stop though.
I'm still not sure if you should get anoth siamese. Have you Googled it?

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww you're cats are too cute! I wish my baby loved sitting in lap. The strange thing is when he was a baby, he enjoyed being cuddled and being on people. But that only lasted the first year of his life and then he quickly out grew that phase. That's adorable that you're cat loves sleeping in you're dress! Cat's always love being in the strangest places ha ha. That's funny that Blighty attacks him from above. It really sounds like they have so much fun together and love being with one another. It might be better that you didn't get two females since I heard they are pretty difficult to introduce and have them get along. I'm glad to hear they bonded quickly. It does sound like Whisky wants to be Alpha cat and show he is in charge. I'm also not sure if I should get another Siamese. I have tried googling it. That was the first thing I did and I got mixed reviews. Some people say a Siamese would be a perfect companion for another Siamese and other people say it doesn't matter since Siamese's get along with any cat.

I think you are on the right track with the advice here and what you are thinking.  Patience is key with some introductions; how long it takes varies from cat to cat.  Good luck!!
Thank you! :) I'm trying my best to find a good companion for Mew and I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving. Patience is very important. The strange thing is my cat had a few cat friends in the neighborhood we lived back in California. Ever cat he met, he was friendly and liked them. He also had a best friend which was my neighbor's small dog. But since we've moved to the Netherlands, he doesn't seem to get along with any animal. I wonder if it's because he is in a new environment and he's still adjusting. I understand if that's the reason because he lived at our other apartment for his whole life (around 8 years.)

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww you're cats are too cute! I wish my baby loved sitting in lap. The strange thing is when he was a baby, he enjoyed being cuddled and being on people. But that only lasted the first year of his life and then he quickly out grew that phase. That's adorable that you're cat loves sleeping in you're dress! Cat's always love being in the strangest places ha ha. That's funny that Blighty attacks him from above. It really sounds like they have so much fun together and love being with one another. It might be better that you didn't get two females since I heard they are pretty difficult to introduce and have them get along. I'm glad to hear they bonded quickly. It does sound like Whisky wants to be Alpha cat and show he is in charge. I'm also not sure if I should get another Siamese. I have tried googling it. That was the first thing I did and I got mixed reviews. Some people say a Siamese would be a perfect companion for another Siamese and other people say it doesn't matter since Siamese's get along with any cat
Thank you! :) I'm trying my best to find a good companion for Mew and I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving.
Patience is very important. The strange thing is my cat had a few cat friends in the neighborhood we lived back in California. Ever cat he met, he was friendly and liked them. He also had a best friend which was my neighbor's small dog. But since we've moved to the Netherlands, he doesn't seem to get along with any animal. I wonder if it's because he is in a new environment and he's still adjusting. I understand if that's the reason because he lived at our other apartment for his
whole life (around 8 years.)
Maybe it's because he doesn't understand Dutch?
:lol3:

jenniator

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ha ha!! I actually wonder if animals have a language barrier as well. Like when I talk to him, he has a general idea of what I'm saying. But I wonder if he understands a person if they speak to him in a different language. A weird though I've always been curious about.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww you're cats are too cute! I wish my baby loved sitting in lap. The strange thing is when he was a baby, he enjoyed being cuddled and being on people. But that only lasted the first year of his life and then he quickly out grew that phase. That's adorable that you're cat loves sleeping in you're dress! Cat's always love being in the strangest places ha ha. That's funny that Blighty attacks him from above. It really sounds like they have so much fun together and love being with one another. It might be better that you didn't get two females since I heard they are pretty difficult to introduce and have them get along. I'm glad to hear they bonded quickly. It does sound like Whisky wants to be Alpha cat and show he is in charge. I'm also not sure if I should get another Siamese. I have tried googling it. That was the first thing I did and I got mixed reviews. Some people say a Siamese would be a perfect companion for another Siamese and other people say it doesn't matter since Siamese's get along with any cat.

Thank you! :) I'm trying my best to find a good companion for Mew and I appreciate all the advice everyone is giving. Patience is very important. The strange thing is my cat had a few cat friends in the neighborhood we lived back in California. Ever cat he met, he was friendly and liked them. He also had a best friend which was my neighbor's small dog.
But since we've moved to the Netherlands, he doesn't seem to get along with any animal. I wonder if it's because he is in a new environment and he's still adjusting. I understand if that's the reason because he lived at our other apartment for his whole life (around 8 years.)
:lol3:
I didn't thank you for all the lovely things you said about my babies.
I've just taken another picture of them. Blighty wasn't very cooperative.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ha ha!! I actually wonder if animals have a language barrier as well. Like when I talk to him, he has a general idea of what I'm saying. But I wonder if he understands a person if they speak to him in a different language. A weird though I've always been curious about.
I would imagine that a lot of words they do understand, although my 2 don't seem to know their names, and a lot of it is tone.
Dogs really do understand more when spoken to. Mine even understood s word in Yiddish!