What type of cat introduction worked for you?

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made a post a day or two ago that hasn't gotten any responses, probably because it's too long, so I'm just going to go for the basics.

I have an 8 year old resident cat Mila and a 2 year old new cat Zoey. Mila is declawed, Zoey isn't. I've been taking the introductions super slow and they stay in separate rooms, but Mila is fearful of Zoey. She doesn't react to Zoey's scent (and vice versa), but she won't play with Zoey under the door (or go near it) and visual introduction through baby gates and a big dog crate haven' worked. Mila will hide in a corner and not even look at Zoey. UNLESS I use treats. If I use treats I can get Zoey to remain calm and Mila will eat treats a foot from her face. But as soon as the treats are gone they make eye contact and Mila runs and hides.  I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious because I'm fearful of Mila getting hurt; not sure if I should allow more physical contact? Or if there's more techniques I haven't tried?

What worked for you and how long did it take? 

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww. I don't have any expierence introducing two cats, but I'll give my 2cents anyway based on just cat behavior in general. First off, if treats are working do more of that! And I would definitely refrain from allowing physical access if she seems that scared.

Mila probably has less confidence because she is declawed, so even though the house is technically "her territory" it will probably take a while for her to feel safe with a new kitty around.

What I'd suggest is play. Focusing on getting the resident cat the play mostly, but also both of them at the same time. Cats get confident when they're playing, and their attention is forced towards the "prey" or toy. So even though the other kitty's smell is there, your resident cat won't be able to focus on the anxiety she feels towards her because -o hey I saw something move-. And when the other cat is playing, your resident cat can observe the kitty without staring her in the eyes, which can be very intimidating among cats.

What you're doing is also great though, keep doing more of that and maybe incorporate the play toward the point where you'd feel comfortable playing with both of them at the same time without the baby gate.

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I made a post a day or two ago that hasn't gotten any responses, probably because it's too long, so I'm just going to go for the basics.

I have an 8 year old resident cat Mila and a 2 year old new cat Zoey. Mila is declawed, Zoey isn't. I've been taking the introductions super slow and they stay in separate rooms, but Mila is fearful of Zoey. She doesn't react to Zoey's scent (and vice versa), but she won't play with Zoey under the door (or go near it) and visual introduction through baby gates and a big dog crate haven' worked. Mila will hide in a corner and not even look at Zoey. UNLESS I use treats. If I use treats I can get Zoey to remain calm and Mila will eat treats a foot from her face. But as soon as the treats are gone they make eye contact and Mila runs and hides.  I'm not sure if I'm being overly cautious because I'm fearful of Mila getting hurt; not sure if I should allow more physical contact? Or if there's more techniques I haven't tried?

What worked for you and how long did it take? 
Have you been able to pet each at once when using treats, to convey the fact to both cats that they're equals, and that they're both a part of the Family?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Elfilou Elfilou
I've tried that for weeks. Zoey is easy, she'll play with anything and not care about Mila until she starts to get bored, then she will try and play. I have another person playing with Zoey while I work with Mila in the same room, but it is nearly impossible to get her to engage in play. I give treats, catnip, use all sorts of toys like the Da Bird wand and the Cat Dancer Charmer. She will loaf in the corner and either face the wall (putting her back to Zoey) or just stares at her. So we tried play on opposite sides of a baby gate, but Mila still won't engage. Then we tried putting Zoey in the open wire dog crate on one side of the room and had Mila on the other and still no.:dk:

Last edited:

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@1CatOverTheLine  Yes I've been able to do that, but once the treats are gone, or sometimes in the middle of eating Mila glances up, eye contact is made and Mila slinks away.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out eventually! Mila sounds like she's gonna be stubborn about it, but eventually it HAS to work! Have you also tried switching rooms? Like, bringing Mila into the room that Zoey is in and vica versa so they can smell around? And just keeping Zoey out of Mila's sight while she's smelling so she won't be distracted?

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Elfilou  Yeah I switch them often, but each other's scent is the issue. Mila doesn't react to Zoey's scent at all and vise versa. Zoey was in a different room last night when Mila wandered into her room to smell some things. She didn't seem phased. 

emilyann

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've been trying a new tactic. I can now allow Mila and Zoey access to the first floor of the house I'm in. The very old territorial cat who stays on that floor is content sleeping in a closed off room for awhile; They are all okay with each other's scent. 

I decided to try and introduce them on this floor because there's a LOT more room, running space, things to jump on or under. First I got Mila and Zoey used to the first floor separately so I wasn't throwing them into an unknown territory together and making things worse. Once they were comfortable on the first floor I was able to close off the dinning room to the living room with doors that have glass panels. They cannot get to each other, but the visual from the chest up is there and that's what Mila needs to work on.

I played with Mila while someone else played with Zoey on the other side of the glass and the goal is to then feed them after, but as soon as Mila sees Zoey she runs and hides. Even though I'm with Mila as far away from the door as we could be (about 15 ft away) it doesn't matter. She tries to hide under things, she has no interest in food. I try to distract Mila with toys, but she sees right past that. I brush her, comb her, try to calm her down. 

Meanwhile Zoey is living in kitten la la land having the time of her life rolling around and exploring. She'll come up to the glass every now and then, but will then walk away out of boredom even though she can see Mila. I've only been doing this for a few days so I'll give it more time, but I don't have high hopes.

Do you guys think I'm coddling Mila too much? Should I try to give them both full access to the first floor and let them do their own thing? (completely supervised and would step in as needed of course). I'm just not sure. I keep Zoey's front claws short, but Mila doesn't front claws. Some people have made comments to me about the reason they're not getting along is because I'm not allowing them to be fully face to face without a barrier between them; that I should allow them to fight and have contact so they get used to each other. That flies in the face of everything I've read though....

I'll try and post some video clips on here later so you can see what I'm working with. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm with you here that giving them full physical acccess to oneanother would be bad if it had been too soon/right from the start, and it would be nice to at least have them eating somewhere near eachother. I think what you've done here is great and I'd lay off letting them with eachother for just a little more - but if nothing has changed after a week or so, I'd absolutely say that it's time for them to come face to face. Some last questions and suggestions here:

- Do you only offer treats when they see/are near one another or full meals? I'd suggest full meals!

- Try working towards them having those meals in a close proximity, and don't expect Mila to just eat with Zoey near right away. With that I mean, try putting Mila's food bowl a few meters away from Zoey at first, and when she gets comfortable eating like that, move it closer.

- Have you seen videos like these? I found him quite helpful and if you click on the channel he has a few more videos that could help you. He has a show too. I think what he says at around 4:00 minutes in is the most important, "A cat needs to have it proven to them that this other being is not a threat to them. The only way we can do that is giving them the same results over, and over, and over again."

But last but not least, there is no set rules for this and I'm really sorry you and, maybe most importantly, Mila are going through this! Don't let people rush you. You know more than anyone else what your kitty needs. If you don't pay attention to her needs, who else will? I think in your case the MOST important thing is for Mila to gain confidence around Zoey. Keep coming back here, I'm really curious how this story turns out and I'll keep trying to come up with more suggestions if you need them!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
What worked for me when I got Indy was putting Indy in the laundry/work room it has a French door so they could see smell and hear each other but not touch each other. Then when Kabby stopped hissing at the door I brought Indy into the main part of my house (it's opened concept) and sat her on my lap and sat on the floor. repeated this for a week then let Indy explore and interact with Kabby. If he hissed I put Indy back in her room. Repeated this for a week increasing the time and now they even sleep on my bed together. It helps that Kabby is so social too. YMMV.