What Type Of Blankets Should I Get For My Foster Cats?

I_Wuv_Kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm going to line the carpet in my foster room with blankets. Kittens are messy and I don't want to ruin the carpet, not just because of the financial cost, but because my landlord is awesome and I'd feel terrible.

I was going to get a bunch of those 50"x60" fleece blankets that you can find for under $5 and completely cover the carpet with them, even going 2 layers deep in some places.

But I stopped and realized that I never considered what material the cats would want. I assume that they will like fleece the most since it's fuzzy and soft vs bath towels which are rough and coarse, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oddly enough, my cats have always preferred rough materials like cardboard scratchers and the kuddle kup (scratchy sponge like material) over all the soft beds and blankets I've gotten them. But my cats are weird. I'm sure your fosters will appreciate any blankets you get for them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No terry cloth for small kittens. They can't retract their claws so they get caught in terry cloth. Fleece is best. For floor covering, you can get it by the yard at fabric stores, although I've heard conflicting accounts of whether it's cheaper to get it by the yard or to buy cheap blankets.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought a couple of fleece blankets when I adopted my current kitten thinking he would love to cuddle up with them. He did end up loving the blankets... he loves to tackle and play fight with them. :updown:

He likes to sleep on cardboard. :dunno:

trickytree

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How about buying cheap area rugs from places like Walmart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire or Lowes? I've picked a few up for my hardwood floors. I've paid between $40 and $80 for them, so I don't care when they get ruined.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a few cheap fleece blankets from Walmart for Noodles. They are great. One covers the back of the couch where she snuggles at night and the other covers a chair she likes. She won't lay on the self-heating bed I got her; but she will lay on it if the blanket is on top of it.