What to use to redirect semi feral outside in cold temps

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a semi-feral that I've been feeding for quite a few months now at my front door. We have a routine where I keep looking out the window for him he waits for me to bring it out. It's very cold with snow coming so I relocated (gradually over 2 days) the shelter I have for him, problem is he doesn't seem to have figure it out tonight. He showed up at my front door and I came around the other way and dripped canned food juice trail to the new location. He watched me but then my dog opened the front door and spooked him.

So, what else can I use as a trail that he will be able to detect to the new location? I have catnip, salmon oil, canned food (which doesn't take long to become semi-solid).

Thank you.

BTW - I had to move the shelters because I do not have a gutter or a dry porch and they became full of water.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try using something like some of your clothing that carries your scent. A trail of your scent. Maybe a shirt of yours in the shelter? Or, if he sees you fooling around with the shelter, he may just get curious after you leave it and go looking. Food may not work since ferals don’t usually sleep outside by their food. It is instinctive to stay away from anything that might attract a predator.
Did he figure it out last night? If so, maybe he just isn’t ready to go in yet or maybe something about the spot or shelter is keeping him away. Any other cat inside the shelter?
If you must put the shelter back where he feels safe, you can use a tarp as waterproofing to cover it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Try using something like some of your clothing that carries your scent. A trail of your scent. Maybe a shirt of yours in the shelter? Or, if he sees you fooling around with the shelter, he may just get curious after you leave it and go looking. Food may not work since ferals don’t usually sleep outside by their food. It is instinctive to stay away from anything that might attract a predator.
Did he figure it out last night? If so, maybe he just isn’t ready to go in yet or maybe something about the spot or shelter is keeping him away. Any other cat inside the shelter?
If you must put the shelter back where he feels safe, you can use a tarp as waterproofing to cover it.
He did figure it out last night, it's an igloo dog house and I had taken the top off and put a cardboard box in there so he could eat without the bitter cold wind. I've been moving that about 20 feet each night until I had a chance to get new dry straw to put in it and I have it in my chicken coop which I have a door open. I think I will take it out of the chicken coop and put the tarp over it tonight.

There are 2 neutered cats across the street and he has eaten over there and they sometimes come over here, but watching each of them they don't fight and seem to respect each others territory.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad he figured it out. Cats are just very cautious about change. He has company? That could be good since they are friendly to each other. :)