What to play with my kitten?

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 7 months old kitten, I rescued him when he was barely 10 days, so all he has known is life with us at home. We play with him about one or two hours a day, but lately he's growing more and more restless, and he doesn´t like the old games anymore. He doesn't care for balls, or sticks with feathers or plush, he doesn't care for his old toys. There are only two he likes to play with now, the very first Kong plush, and an old little blanket which he tooks with himself wherever he goes. Lately he sleeps most of the day and he wants to play around midnight, normally hiding and stalking and jumping on us. We stop playing with him when he gets too excited because sometimes he hurts us even if it's not his intention. We bought him balls with batteries and lights, electronic gadgets, plush mice of all shapes and sizes, and still he's always frustrated because he doesn't like the games we are playing with him.

We plan to have him neutered in December as the vet advised us. Will it reduce his energy? A friend of mine is adamant that we should adopt another kitten, so that they could play together.

I would really appreciate very much your advice since this is my first kitten, I was more of a dog person, but when I saw him so small and so vulnerable I knew I had to take him home.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. That is so sweet of you to have taken him in!

Yeah, he needs to be neutered. His hormones are raging, and that can cause all kinds of reactions from him. It sounds like he is getting over-stimulated which can result in frustration and lack of interest in the toys. The odds are he will settle down some, but he is still a kitten, and they can be a handful.

He also was so young when you took him in that he didn't have enough time to learn 'cat manners' from his mama - hence the 'hurting you'. He doesn't really know better.

Another kitten/cat might be an option, but both should be spayed/neutered beforehand. Ideally, another kitten/cat that was with their mama long enough to learn manners before they were taken away (at least 12-16 weeks old).

Maybe these TCS articles will help?
First Time Cat Owner's Guide - TheCatSite
How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother? [Answered] - TheCatSite
The Ultimate Kitten Care Guide: Top Tips for Raising Happy Kittens - TheCatSite
The Multi-Cat Household: An Owner's Manual for Healthy, Happy Cats - TheCatSite

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are to be complimented for your kind heart and the rescue of this kitten. Think of him as a teenager, and maybe that will help understand his hiding, stalking, looking for interesting new toys.

I agree with your friend that a second kitten of similar age could be a good idea. Easier with kittens than with mature cats. But it is not always easy to find the perfect match. Is there a rescue group near you where you can go and "interview" available candidates? I would look for another male cat.

And do you have a picture (or more) to share with us.

Again, my congratulations on your good efforts and rescue of your first kitten.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that neutering will help a lot, but it will not be immediate. It takes a few weeks for all the hormones to leave the body, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't change right away. And another kitten of similar age could be just the ticket for him! Again, the kitten should be neutered/spayed. Also, you want to look for a kitten that is confident and outgoing, and somewhat a match for your kitten in energy levels.

Thank you for rescuing this little guy. Just...thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Attica1962

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your message. Here are some videos, when he was just a baby and sooo adorable!!! And some pictures of the young rascal!!

Attachments

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a cutie pie! Bless you for showing compassion and rescuing him.

Are you rotating his toys? If he's bored with something, make it interesting again by putting it a way for a while and bringing it out again after a few weeks. That way it will be a novelty all over again! Also, in my experience, cats find simpler toys more satisfying. They seem to love annoying their humans by turning their noses up at something battery-powered that cost money in favour of a dead leaf or a pen...

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww! That second picture is too adorable!

More seriously, you can use this to your advantage and make shopping bags into a toy - as long as they aren't plastic ones as there's a suffocation risk. I once had a kitten who loved playing with paper bags. If you laid the bag on its side and scratched the bottom (I'd recommend doing this with a pencil or something to protect your hands from attacks!) you could trick him into thinking there was something in the bag and he'd pounce into it and go wild rolling around in the rustling paper. Nowadays, knowing a bit more about cat behaviour, I would put a toy mouse or ball inside or throw one to him when he pounced, so his hunt wouldn't end in frustration. Anyway, when we got his little sister, they'd play with a paper bag together. Bags were great places for one kitten to ambush the other one from, and a lot of excitingly rustly playfights were had!

If your kitten likes to sit in the bags, you could make something like a pencil scratch around the outside of the bag and occasionally come up over the top for him to swat at, then quickly 'run away' again when he does. The big goose feathers you can get in craft stores are great for this sort of play. I'm sure this sort of game would get him interested!

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about a fishing pole?

For instance: Yirtree Cat Fishing Pole Toy, Retractable wand cat toy with Reel, Cat Fishing Rod & Feather Toy, Interactive Cat Teaser Wand Toy for Indoor Cats - Walmart.com

Just cast out, across the room, slowly reel in and watch the cats attack the "bait" it as it wiggles across the floor.

Both our cats come a-runnin' when they see us getting out the fishing pole.

If you've already got a small, kid-sized fishing pole, you don't need to buy a new one. Simply replace your regular fishing tackle with a small feather toy or something. Just be sure that there aren't any sharp things for the cat to get hurt on and, of course, be careful the cats don't get tangled up in the fishing line. Maybe you could replace the fishing line with regular string.

It's an especially good toy for guys. What guy doesn't know how to go "cat fishing?"
It's a good "guy way" to play with a cat. ;)

Graciella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We also have a high energy kitten around the same age. I got one of those tunnels that zips into a donut shape off Amazon and he absolutely loves it. Even though we give him a couple good workouts a day with the stick and string, and the laser he spends a lot of time amusing himself bouncing around with the donut. It takes up a lot of space but it keeps him occupied, and it’s fun to watch him play with it.

Now if I can just get him out of his biting phase. Sigh.