WHAT to feed 71 cats?

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only point I can see NP helping is vet care but with as many cats as I have now I know I do not do much for the most part far as extreme tests as it is just not there.  No one is in pain but there is no funds for surgery/high end care.

TSC will not ask questions if you hit the minimum bag/case/pallet.

Far as advantage I think treating 25 or so would give results.  If they all share space.  If you have seperate sections aim for 1/3 the cats and see how you do with fleas. As long as they are not infested as then I would treat them all and next month skip cats.

falkosmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little red, thanks for all you do.  At any given time, I care for forty to fifty cats.  You have been given plenty of good information here.

I don't know if you have competitive food stores in your area, but I just bought chicken leg quarters for 54 cents a pound.  I will be cooking them up with a little rice and vegetables and plenty of water to supplement their food.  

Here is a link you might find helpful answering some of your questions and other helpful hints: http://www.carolsferals.org/stuff-we-use-love-recommend/

For FLUTD cats, 9 Lives makes a urinary tract food, not the best quality, but it sure does the trick.  Mix it up with some better foods a couple times a week.

You can buy frontline or advantage for large dogs and dose it down.  My vet recommends advantage.  Here's a link: http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/advantage.html  You can also try flea collars and rotate them, letting each cat where a collar for a couple of hours a couple of times a week.

Applying for non profit status can be a crap shoot, depending on where you live.  I know of one woman who applied and received non profit status, now she has to have a place open to the public, submit to periodic inspections, and they put a limit on how many cats she can maintain, (and it is far below 71).  Also, beware of local ordinances, don't let people see how many cats you have, and if the law ever shows up on your doorstep, demand a search warrant.  No warrant, no entrance, and NEVER tell them how many cats you have.  One local rescue specializing in special needs cats felt assured that they had nothing to hide.  Cat hating neighbors had "seen" more cats in her windows than the borough permitted.  Knowing her cats were well taken care of and that her property was in excellent shape, she left the authorities in to see for themselves and sealed her fate.  They did not care about the condition of her cats or property, they only cared about the number of cats she had and she was court ordered to get rid of all her special kittys.  It devastated the woman and it broke the hearts of fellow rescuers to witness what happened all because of cat haters and a magic number.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From another thread about their outdoor enclosure, it would seem like little red lives out in the country. Now, some counties may have a per-acre limit (usually cats don't count though), but in general, if you don't live in town you can have as many animals as you want. But it is a good idea to have a thorough understanding of the local laws.

debra924

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I'm new to this site.  I was looking for a way to buy cat food by the pallet and ran across your post.  I actually take care of just about 100 cats.  I go through about 10 bags of cat naturals and 20 bags of cat chow.  Although I have cats on special diets, most of the cats are ferals.  Please note, that they all get shots, checkups and fixed and I am on 5 acres surrounded by another 25 acres of orchards. There is a county program that charges $10 per cat.  My question is .. DId you find any way to buy cat food by the pallet?