What to expect when kitty is spayed

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'd love some information on what to expect when I get my kitten spayed. I've had cats all of my life, but they've all been males and raised around people. This time around I have a female that was a feral baby that I found living under my deck. My husband I found her and her sister living under our deck a few months ago. Through much coaxing (food) we finally got them into our Florida room and eventually into our house. We were able to get them to the vet for a health exam and found one had been TNR'd and spayed but the other is not spayed for some reason. Maybe she wasn't able to be caught or too small at the time she was caught. Long story short, this sweet baby needs to be spayed. This is not an easy process because of the fact that although she's living in our house and quite comfortable with the, she is still skiddish with us. We barely can pet her and can't get near her to pick her up or anything like that. If I'm lucky enough to get her into the carrier to get her to the vet for her spay, what should I expect for when I get her home?? I'm worried about not being able to keep an eye on her incision since she doesn't let me handle her. Also, I keep her and her sister in a room away from my other cats when we're not around so I'm sure everyone is safe. I was reading you should keep them away from all other pets. She and her sister are so bonded that I'm not sure that's best for her emotionally. Sorry about rambling, I'm just worried about my sweet little girl and upsetting her. Has anybody had a similar situation. Any experiences you'd like to share would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, buy some Feliway spray. You can spray this in the carrier before you put her in & it will help to calm her down. Cover the carrier with a towel once you get her in.

We've spayed/neutered loads of cats, feral & otherwise, and not one of them had a problem after being fixed. The hardest part was getting the cat into the carrier. Likewise, we have never had a cat who pulled out its sutures or anything like that.

The thing is this cat needs to be spayed & you are doing the right thing for her. I'm sure she'll be fine.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't offer any emotional pointers. Even the most tame cat will not like going to the vet to be spayed. Just gotta do it. I do have a couple tips that may help.

First, when putting her in the carrier, stand the carrier on end with the opening facing up. Lower the kitty into the carrier rear first so she doesn't see it coming. This will be a huge help. 

Second, the vet I go to offers an option where a laser is used. It is  $75 more, but there is less discomfort and the healing is faster. I opted for it. The day after her procedure my kitty was charging around the house playing like nothing ever had happened. I was kinda worried she might hurt herself, but I just confined her to one room and all went well. I also opted for it with a neighborhood feral that I TNR'd. 

Good luck and best wishes for you and your kitty. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your information and support. I do have some spray and a blanket and bed with her and her sisters smell in the carrier which should help. She's actually been pretty good when we've had her in the carrier before it's just catching her to get her in the carrier. She'll run from us the minute she sees us coming for her. We've been able to get her in the carrier before with treats, but since she'll be having surgery, we can't give her any food. Tomorrow is supposed to be the day, so I think no matter what we have to do, we'll get her. I just hate to terrorize her just to catch her but that's what has to be done. Like you said, this is best for her.

Primula, I'm glad to hear the spays and neuters you've had done have not had any problems. How long do you keep the females confined when they get spayed. Do the ferals get released pretty quickly?

KittyPa, I've just read about the laparoscopic spaying and thought it sounded great. It would be much less invasive. Unfortunately I don't believe my vet does it that way or any vet in my area does it. How long did you keep your kitty confined to a room after her surgery?

Thanks again :-)

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great, thank you. We were able to get her in the carrier and to the vet this morning so that's a start :-)  She may be in surgery as I type. They said they usually keep them overnight, but if she's too stressed while there I can pick her up later today. Thank you for the information!!

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Great, thank you. We were able to get her in the carrier and to the vet this morning so that's a start :-)  She may be in surgery as I type. They said they usually keep them overnight, but if she's too stressed while there I can pick her up later today. Thank you for the information!!
I brought my baby home same day. I couldn't stand for her to be gone overnight.  

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My little girl did great for her surgery. I did pick her up so she is home :-) As soon as I let her out of her carrier, she jumped around to pull her e collar off and then rsn under the bed. She's been hiding under there for 3 hours now :-(

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little girl did great for her surgery. I did pick her up so she is home :-) As soon as I let her out of her carrier, she jumped around to pull her e collar off and then rsn under the bed. She's been hiding under there for 3 hours now :-(
The first thing my kitty did was hide. It will be alright. 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primula, I'm glad to hear the spays and neuters you've had done have not had any problems. How long do you keep the females confined when they get spayed. Do the ferals get released pretty quickly?
Don't think I've ever kept a female confined. The team mobile we use does not keep cats overnight so we've brought them back when the surgery is done. IIRC we have kept one or two male ferals in the basement to recover, but after one night they are mad to get outside again.

Your cat will come out from under the bed eventually. Probably when it is dark & you are asleep. Just leave her be to come to her own conclusions as to her next move.

Last edited:

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The first thing my kitty did was hide. It will be alright. 

Don't think I've ever kept a female confined. The team mobile we use does not keep cats overnight so we've brought them back when the surgery is done. IIRC we have kept one or two male ferals in the basement to recover, but after one night they are mad to get outside again.

Your cat will come out from under the bed eventually. Probably when it is dark & you are asleep. Just leave her be to come to her own conclusions as to her next move.
My little girl did come out overnight. She has been back under the bed for mist of the day. I haven't been able to give her the pain meds they sent me home with since she's neen hidungvand doesn't let me grab her when shevis out. Did you guys give your kitties pain meds after spay? I wonder if she's hiding because she's in pain. I tried to put her pain med in her food but she hasn't eaten it yet. I hope she'll come out again this evening.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never even been given pain meds after a cat being fixed. But that's not to say your cat does not need them. Your cat is frightened - it's understandable. My Looby Loo was so frightened when I adopted her at 3 months. I thought she would never come out from under the bed. She did though little by little. More than a year later she trusts me completely, but is still very skittish.

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've never even been given pain meds after a cat being fixed. But that's not to say your cat does not need them. Your cat is frightened - it's understandable. My Looby Loo was so frightened when I adopted her at 3 months. I thought she would never come out from under the bed. She did though little by little. More than a year later she trusts me completely, but is still very skittish.
Yeah, i definitely want to get her the pain med if I can. I'm trying to give her her space but check in on her from time to time. This little girl spent her whole life outside until my husband and I found her and coaxed her inside. She somewhat trusts us but is stll too skittish for us to handle her. It's just worrisome that I can't check the incision like I should. I hope she knows enough to leave it alone. Thank you, your insight helps me feel better.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i definitely want to get her the pain med if I can. I'm trying to give her her space but check in on her from time to time. This little girl spent her whole life outside until my husband and I found her and coaxed her inside. She somewhat trusts us but is stll too skittish for us to handle her. It's just worrisome that I can't check the incision like I should. I hope she knows enough to leave it alone. Thank you, your insight helps me feel better.
The last thing she wants is you touching her tummy. BTW, I have never checked an incision. Re-reading this thread, how old is she do you think? As you say, she's been outside her entire life. I can imagine how terrified she is. I couldn't live outside for a week! It's amazing what these poor cats go through.

She'll be fine. Let things proceed at their own pace. If you rush her, you will set things back. You have years in which to enjoy her.

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last thing she wants is you touching her tummy. BTW, I have never checked an incision. Re-reading this thread, how old is she do you think? As you say, she's been outside her entire life. I can imagine how terrified she is. I couldn't live outside for a week! It's amazing what these poor cats go through.

She'll be fine. Let things proceed at their own pace. If you rush her, you will set things back. You have years in which to enjoy her.
Good to know that you haven't checked the incisions. Everything I read is so adament about it that I was worried because I can't. My little sweetie is probably around 7 months old. Young enough to get used to the luxeries of living inside. :-) I know it will just take some time. I always think about how scary it must be for ferals living outside. I'm so glad we were able to get her and her sister inside and away from the dangers of outside. Luckily her sister was already spayed when we found them so I only had to worry about one going through surgery.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well other people may check the incisions - I just never did.

Seven months old? Poor little bunny. Last year I fostered a momma cat who subsequently had 3 kittens. They stayed with me until everyone was weaned & fixed. As I told anyone who was interested how a momma cat does this outside is beyond me. Because my cat's kittens needed her almost 24/7. How a cat outside can leave her kittens to search for food is beyond me. And to leave tiny kittens alone until she returns. I mention all this because your little kitty was probably born outside & has known stress since she was in the womb. My Looby Loo was born outside & found when she was 3 months. She is so skittish her life must have been a nightmare until she was found.

Your cat will be fine. Would it help to bring her sister in with her now? Does she seem confused as to where her sister is? How many other cats do you have? Is her sister with those other cats?

kitkats5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree, they probably had been born outside. I always wondered what happened to their mom. And it's weird that the one had been spayed (TNR'd) while the other one hadn't. I'm wondering if maybe she'd been caught but too small or maybe she couldn't get caught while her curious sister was.

I was thinking bringing her sister in with her would make her more comfortable but when i tried that last night, her sister just hissed at her. I think the smells from the vet and she probably new Grace wasn't feeling well so it got her (the sister, Brownie) upset. I will try again when Grace starts coming out again. We had been keeping Brownie and Grace in a room separated from our other cats (we have 3 others) when we're not around because we wanted to make sure they were all totally comfortable with each other before they could be alone. Anyway, Brownie is now out with the others full time. She loves it!  Once Grace is healed up, we'll be able to leave her out with everyone too. In the meantime, when she's calmed down and feeling more comfortable, I'll let the others visit her when from time to time so she doesn't feel alone.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good plan. Good that it worked out with Brownie & the other cats.

Who knows why one cat is tnr'd and another not. Last summer I fed a little black cat for 2 months who popped up in our backyard one day. When she was taken in for adoption & a visit to the vet, lo & behold she was already spayed. Who knows what her back story was.