What To Do.

Catmom46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
My cat is about 1 years old now. He hasn’t been neutered yet. Usually he likes being pet behind his ears back to his neck but has been crying/meowing when I go towards the right ear the past 2 days. I’ve never heard him cry that way before. It’s like a deep meow, much different then his high pitched cry. I checked in his ear carefully and there’s a lot of like dark brown/black earwax looking stuff inside and a terrible smell. He’s fine with my touching him until I get to the part of his ear where it meets his head in the back (so not the flappy part, like the outside of the inner ear) should I take him to the vet? I’m concerned but I want to make sure I’m not overreacting. I have 4 cats and this one hasn’t been to the vet in a couple months. Thank you in advance for the help.

*the picture is where he cries when I touch and what the inside of the ear looks like.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That looks like ear mites. They are very painful and contagious to other cats, but the good news is that they're easy to treat.

Take your cat to the vet so they can have a proper look in his ears. They'll probably prescribe some drops or ointment.

You need to get it taken care of as soon as you can, because cats can scratch themselves raw if the mites aren't taken care of.

He's a sweet boy, what's his name?

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice from Norachan Norachan . I have seen a cat scratch himself raw from ear mites as Norachan described. It is easy to take care of, but since it can spread, I would get it taken care of as soon as possible.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it is ear mites it is strange they aren't in both ears and have spread to the other cats. There are a couple of topical flea protection out there that take care of ear mites, much easier than the drops which have to be used daily for a while. A vet visit would tell you what it is, they can take a scraping and check it under the microscope. It also could be an injury which is now draining a little bit. When it hits the air, bacterial infections turn black. Can you feel any kind of lump? Feel both ears and see if there is any difference. It could be an ear infection in which he will have to have an antibiotic. I give that in a little tuna juice so they lap it right up. Keep us informed!