What To Do With Pregnant "bad Mom"

chipdudekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, there's been a stray cat problem in my neighborhood. I found a black small pregnant female this spring, she gave birth to 4 kittens and barely took care of them. I had to step in and supplement them. She stopped producing milk at 5 weeks because she avoided her kittens so much.

So anyway, I took her in, found good homes for the kittens. I have two male cats that were fixed one week ago. I had them seperate from the female when she was in heat before then, but obviously I'm an idiot and should've done more research and kept them apart all the time.

So, the female is pregnant. I have a number of homes lined up for the kittens but I'm looking for ways to help my cat be a better mom. Are there any tips for making a mother cat bond with her kittens? Can she be a good mom at all? Please help.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the mom inside now? You may have to set her up in a crate with her babies. I have had to do that with some of my bad mommas. Do you have a plan to get her spayed after this litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipdudekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can I put her in a small room instead? Yes, she is inside and stays inside now. She has a vet appointment next week, and she will definitely be spayed when the vet says she's ready after the litter. Do you think a small room/crate will make her pay attention to the babies?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a mom that stopped feeding her babies for a week. They were only two weeks old. I moved her and the babies into the crate and it sort of forced her to care for them lol. You can try it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chipdudekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, time to start looking online for used crates lol. I'm hoping she is better this time because it was heartbreaking last time, she would nurse her kittens for a couple minutes then leave them crying... she wouldn't clean them or anything

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be a better mom this second time around since she has experience and her needs are being met.

I would give her the small room, and if she does not care for her babies enough then put her in the crate with them. It needs to be big enough for mom to fully stretch out and nurse several kittens.