What To Do With Leftover Rx Food?

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! I bought a 6lb, $50 bag of Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein kibble for my cat, and two days later had to switch him to a high fiber diet. Now I have a 6lb (minus 1/4 cup) of food that I can't use. What a waste! What can I do with it? The local shelter won't take open bags and I can't return it. Can anyone here use it?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually your local shelter will be happy to take it. You can call in advance to confirm.

Edit: I clearly didn't read your original post right! Sorry.
Are there any other shelters in the area you could call?

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you’re in the states and have a Petco near you I know my Petco will take opened bags. It goes towards a food program for poor ppl with pets so they generally will take anything even expired as bad as that sounds.
Also another thought won’t your vet take back the food and give you a refund?? The vet down the street will do that so I don’t see why the vet you got it from wont??

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you buy it from the vet? My vet tried to sell me Royal canin food and mentioned in her sell speech that i could bring it back for any reason (money back).

Can i ask why your cat need a high fiber diet? and why did you use this Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein food (allergies?)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Lalka! I bought it at petsmart and I was able to return it for store credit after all since so little was used, even though my cat tried to rip the bag open in the pantry (oops!).

My cats were having trouble with scooting and intermittent diarrhea. One of my cats has IBS so she suggested the hydrolyzed protein diet. Then it turned out that both cats had impacted anal glands, so they both need a high fiber diet. It is helping so far!