What To Do With An Angry Cat?

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m a first time cat owner who’s still pretty new to reading cats. Sometimes I unintentionally do something that gets my cat angry and she gets aggressive. Today I was giving her treats, and right after I reached to pet her head but it spooked her out. Instead of running and hiding in these situations she kind of stalks me and tries to attack me when I walk away. When something like this occurs what should I do? As of now I put her in her safe room for her to cool down a bit. Also, can cats be similar to dogs in which they assert dominance over their owners if they sense weakness?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat doesn’t seem angry as much as fearful. While some fearful cats will hide, others will lash out to protect themselves. There may be something about you trying to touch her head that scares her. If she starts to get aggressive I would try backing slowly away from her while talking to her in a soft and soothing voice. If you need to use a throw pillow to block your legs so that if she does come forward she can’t reach you. Definitely you don’t want to pick her up just let her calm herself down.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the story/background of your cat? Origin? Former feral or stray? Age? Has your cat been neutered?

TCS members need this information make further comments and advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat doesn’t seem angry as much as fearful. While some fearful cats will hide, others will lash out to protect themselves. There may be something about you trying to touch her head that scares her. If she starts to get aggressive I would try backing slowly away from her while talking to her in a soft and soothing voice. If you need to use a throw pillow to block your legs so that if she does come forward she can’t reach you. Definitely you don’t want to pick her up just let her calm herself down.
Thanks for the advice! She’s normally really great with me showing her affection on her head or body. I have noticed she gets spooked really easily and will follow me and try to swat at me, but nothing too aggressive. I’ll try talking to her next time too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mudstainedcarpets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the story/background of your cat? Origin? Former feral or stray? Age? Has your cat been neutered?

TCS members need this information make further comments and advice.
She’s 3 years old and I adopted her about two months ago. The shelter told me she was a factory cat but the factory ended up closing and the owner couldn’t take her in. That was pretty much the whole story I got. My friends who have cats tell me she’s very affectionate for a cat (only towards me), and apathetic/slightly friendly towards guests. She has been spayed