What to do with a cat that eats EVERYTHING

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my adult cat has been eating *stuff* She first started eating the balls we get them to play with. I collected all of those and threw them out. Weird thing I have never seen a hair ball, thought she was throwing up one...but got suspicious when it was BLUE.
She has now thrown up a rubber band. Part of a shoe lace and a milk plastic ring. I am at my wit's end looking to find anything that is out and loose. She did not do this at the breeders. She has been with me since December. Any ideas? I am terrified she will eat something that will cause a bowel obstruction

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
invest in bitter apple //// Have you discussed this with your vet ??? there may be something going on

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

invest in bitter apple //// Have you discussed this with your vet ??? there may be something going on
Bitter apple won't work because you can't spray EVERYTHING with it...I have the same problem with Trout, she literally eats anything. I just try to grab whatever shes eating from her...I don't know what else to do.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Bitter apple won't work because you can't spray EVERYTHING with it...I have the same problem with Trout, she literally eats anything. I just try to grab whatever shes eating from her...I don't know what else to do.
It can help ... i did it with Zoey and some items when she was little...

Have you talked to Trouts vet??? often I see this with dogs and it relates to diet

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had similar problems with my cats, they used to eat plastic, rubber bands, milk jug plastic tops, pieces of carpet and anything else they find on the floor. How did I fix this problem? Its called super cat proofing your home. Collect ALL rubber bands and put then in a drawer. Vacum a lot!!! Do not leave any plastic around. It will take effort but it will be worth it. (and you will have a cleaner house in the end
)

andrewweilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If there's anything my cats have done for me besides providing unconditional love, is that they've made me a much cleaner individual. I invested in a good vacuum cleaner and a good mop. I take out the open trash can on a regular basis. I used to live with two women roommates...they could never get me to lower the toilet seat. Now I never fail to lower the toilet cover so they don't drink from it. I'm such a gentleman now.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

It can help ... i did it with Zoey and some items when she was little...

Have you talked to Trouts vet??? often I see this with dogs and it relates to diet
I just can't imagine spraying everything with it, I would be spraying all day
. I haven't talked to her vet about it yet..I will next time she has a checkup.

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't do much except not leave anything laying around. i have one that eats bristles from brooms. He doesn't eat milk rings though, but I'm afraid to leave rubber bands around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

reddicequeen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You all dont know my husband hahhahaha* He is anal retentive to the max. I have no idea where she found a rubber band in my house. I am calling the vet tomorrow. I have been having a food problem with them. So maybe that is part of it...thanks again everyone

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Eliott eats plastic bags and anything similar to a string. He ate the tape part of a cassette last week. I onnly realized it when I found it hanging out of his behind
So I am just really careful about what is left lying around.
He used to pee on the plastic bags, now he eats them

My other cat Noira chews on plastic, leather, rubber, latex, feathers. She will roll in them and cover herself in them and chew on them. It is her little fetish is what I say. She doesn't eat anything, just leaves some teeth marks