What To Do When You've Tried It All...

lingling1974

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a busy family home with 4 kids and I decide I'm going to foster animals. I did that for many years and now have a happy fur baby family of 2 dogs and 2 cats.
My struggle is with my last foster cat that I have had since July and have fallen in love and adopted but I can't figure out his poop and litter issues. He is about a year old, I believe a purebred Persian that was in a kill shelter. We have named him mr. momo mcmuffin and we love him but I'm at my limit with the not using the litter box. I think I've tried it all. small boxes, big boxes, lid/no lid, clay, paper, empty. Boxes upstairs, boxes downstairs. He has pooped in my bathtub, on my hardwood, in my office and his favourite in the back of my Brand new renovated home gym. His poop has always been either soft of diarrhea.
He has been to the vet and appears healthy. His fecal was normal, he had a shot of antibiotics in case it was a UTI or an undetected bug. He is on that stomach stuff I never remember the name, menzo(something or another.)
I have been convinced its a food allergy or IBD. I've removed him from chicken.but I read a few articles here and his food does have barley and fish. So, I will be off to the store tomorrow to find the simplest, limited ingredient food out there. He ONLY eats Kibble and ReFUSES wet.
He has pooped in the box many times over the month. He has peed in carpet in front of me in the foster cat room that I was regularly with enzyme cleaner but likely still smells to him.
I'm feeling so desperate. My dog does chase him so it could be stress too. He has the entire basement with his litter and beds to escape to if he wants because the dog can't go down there.
I will go get him a probiotic tomorrow to try.
Could it be behavioural? I can't keep a cat that pees and poops all over. I am so upset. We love him dearly.
Thanks for your time and I will value all answers.

Kitty says meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be a behavioral problem. Perhaps it could be stress related? I too would try probiotics to see if that helps. Maybe try keeping the dog away from your kitty for a while and see if that helps too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking a behavioral issue, as well. He may be overwhelmed by the amount of activity in your home. One thing you can try if this is stress, though, is chamomile tea. Buy the prepared bags from the coffee/tea aisle at the grocery store (those are ALWAYS German, which is safe for cats in proper dosages). Brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. Administer 1-3 teaspoonfulls up to 3 times a day, via syringe...although, if he's a big old boy, you could safely use up to 2-3 tablespoonfuls. The tea will keep, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days. It is gently calming without that "druggy" effect. You might also consider Feliway difusers or calming collars.

Make sure that all areas where he has gone outside the box are thoroughly cleaned with a good enzymatic cleaner, so that he isn't attracted to those spots again. A black light is invaluable in making sure an area is completely cleaned.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats go outside the litter box when they have too much dry food. Are you willing to try grocery store canned food? If so, maybe try Friskies Shreds, that seems to be my picky cats' favorite. Fancy Feast is another one that picky cats seem to like. And Sheba Cuts. Good luck! I hope you can solve this. :crossfingers:

4horses

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he has physical issues. Pooping and peeing outside the box are not normal behaviors in cats. I have had 9 cats in my life- never had them poop outside the box unless they were constipated or had it get caught in long hair- easy to fix with a haircut! The last kittens had explosive diarrhea from a protozoal infection. I would get a second opinion and a urinalysis done.