What to do when you see a "bad" post

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

But our mods/admins/owners do a lot of thankless and hard work, so maybe this thread should be about thanking them for everything they do that makes this sort of thing our biggest worry
Exactly! It's a hard and sometimes dirty job and we all
you for doing it!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

Ok, I will PM the Mod AND report it.I just dont want to be a pain in the butt about it.But, I do feel that the posts do need something done about them.
Yes, the person in question- WAS dealt with
Yes they were dealt with indeed

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
One comment on this topic. Report the post and then ignore it. Especially when we have trolls, it only encourages them when you engage with them. Responding to it keeps bringing it to the top of the postings and brings more attention to it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Telling someone to go h**l is seriously not acceptable, but weve had a lot worse i promise you, and some threads have been removed so quickly before any of you get the chance to be upset by them.

Several months ago we had someone post some awful pictures of a kitten which for obvious reasons i won't go into detail. It was a weekend, very late and i was just about to log off when i saw it, and with the help of Karen(abbysmom) we quickly got them off and banned the person before they could cause more upset for yourselves.

Only a couple of members saw them and one of them couldn't sleep that night, and to be honest it took me a while because i couldn't get the images out my head

Like i said earlier during the week i'm on at work from about 8.15.a.m until 4.45.p.m where i can be pm'd during those times.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only being told to go to H*** but the whole thread was disturbing to me.The things that were posted in the thread were totally rude and offensive.That member should have been banned after his attack on someone before.IMO.
I can take being told to go to that certain place by most people.It was the way he said it, and accused me of something that I had nothing to do with, that really bothered me.And then personally attacking someone I call my friend.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by twstychik

Exactly! It's a hard and sometimes dirty job and we all
you for doing it!
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

Yes, thank you Mod's for all your work
Thanks for so openly appreciating our mods.
They work very hard at volunteering here despite undeserved heaps of difficulty in their own lives. Apparently, they all have husbands, careers, cats etc., and I've been told they even have to eat and sleep on occasion.
We are very fortunate to have them.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's safe to say that ALL of us here on TCS appreciate the mods.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

That member should have been banned after his attack on someone before.IMO.
We have procedures to carry out before a full ban. I don't know about the USA but it's similar to the way employers work over here in the UK where you have to have so many warnings before sacking someone so as to give them a chance to try and correct themselves.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One night, there were about 3 "icky" threads. I saw the first & reported it. I then saw more were popping up, so I PM'ed a MOD. Actually the MOD got ahead of me & all threads were deleted before I could report them all. I guess I never realized the trash some trolls post on here & it made me a million times more thankful for MODs!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I've been told they even have to eat and sleep on occasion.
Perhaps I shouldn't admit this, but I sometimes eat while browsing TCS, either during my lunch break at work, or when hubby is working late shift and isn't home for dinner!

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much, mods. You do a great job and I know you guys work hard.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

One comment on this topic. Report the post and then ignore it. Especially when we have trolls, it only encourages them when you engage with them. Responding to it keeps bringing it to the top of the postings and brings more attention to it.
I agree. I read the one thread mentioned a few nights ago and figured it didn't deserve a reply (I didn't know how to report it though..thanks for the info). The next time I checked, there was a full page of replys. I was really hoping it would just drop off the screen. I'm glad it was reported and removed, but I don't understand why people replied. That's what he wanted.

I remember one a few months back where the poster was saying America was evil and are all going to be destroyed. It was gone in minutes. I think the mods are doing a great job!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Going back to the earlier part of this thread -- I'm relieved to know that I wasn't the only person who was so deeply upset by the thread about the poor cat dismembered by the poster's dogs. I thought maybe I was wrong for being such a wimp, and ought to be able to handle it... but evidently I'm not the only one.

And I thank goodness for our moderators every day -- for what they do, and for what they have the grace and wisdom not to do. I've never seen any kind of online forum operate so smoothly and justly as this one.