What to do w/ neighbors outside cat

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our neighbor's cat has been urinating (and other business) by our grill and our sliding door.  I have a female cat that is not allowed outside but she will often sit by the door or window watching.

I love all animals but what should I do if the urine is so strong that it is making my husband gag?  Anything that I can buy that may prevent this from happening?

I know speaking to the neighbor would be the proper thing to do but I am wondering how to approach the subject without offending them?

It also makes me wonder why people have outside cats if they don't have to pick up after them or care for them like I do mine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ptamom2010

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, can't get close enough as he runs away. 

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I would visit the neighbor and just explain what their cat is doing.. I am not sure the best way to word it, but something like "Hi, I've noticed you let your cat out.. but he is spraying on my door and BBQ. It's leaving an unpleasant odor and is upsetting my cat and husband.. would you mind keeping your cat indoors? or at least neuter him?" Chances are, they may not realize what their cat is doing and will oblige.

If they refuse.. set up motion detected sprinklers to go off every time the cat is near.. make the area unattractive as possible for the kitty. I am sure there's other ways people can suggest. I'd also clean the urine areas really well.

thekittengirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know how well this would do outdoors, but you could try to use bitter apple spray in addition to whatever other methods of deterrent you are using.  It would make the area even more unpleasant.  I don't know how it would do outdoors however (in terms of lasting power).  Indoors it helps to keep the dog away from the garbage cans (the small ones that you use in bathrooms and such), as well as the toilets (his two favorite things to break in to).

Here is a link for Amazon if you are interested.  You could also pick it up from any pet supply store (it is pretty much a staple especially at big box stores) Best of all, it is perfectly harmless for the kitty.

In terms of approaching the owners, I don't think that hurting their feelings should be a big concern.  If they are ignorant enough as to let a non-altered cat wonder a neighborhood where they not only can be disruptive to other neighbors, but can result in multiple litters of kittens, I doubt that becoming friendly with them is the highest of your priorities.  Now, don't get me wrong, I am not advising that you bust down their door and demand they have their cat neutered, but you get the idea.  Whenever you see them outside, I would approach them.  That's a nice neutral territory to discuss the matter in.

Start with a simple hello, and ask politely if their cat is neutered.  If not, I would advise they do so, and recommend a vet for the procedure.  Tell them about the problem.  Hopefully, they will be sensible enough to apologize.  Ask them to get their cat fixed (if he isn't already), and take the necessary steps to prevent the cat from defecating all over the neighborhood.  If they refuse, you could always seek the assistance of the authorities.  But that would be a last resort.  You probably don't want to start a feud.