What to do- Old cat Vs Kitten

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a male cat in the year 2008. And I used to love him very much..When he was about one year old he suddenly disappeared and I lost him...I had searched for him for many months but couldn't find. Believing him to be dead I left searching for him. As you are aware I have now a six month old male kitten whose mom recently died....Now day before yesterday at midnight I heard some noise and I opened the door to look at and I was surprised (indeed a pleasant surprise) that the cat that I had lost 5 years ago was staring at me hoping me to recognize him. He made that same sound which I had taught him (as we used to sing together) He has grown a bit thin but he was normal, clean and same shining orange coat....And when I called out his name he jumped into my lap and meowed and meowed licked me all through and we hugged. I was in tears that he came back after so many years and above all he remembered me as "his mom" and loved me so much. I immediately gave him food and water. Meanwhile my little one (6 month old kitten) became noisy in the room asking me who is with you. I at once locked him in a room and let the older cat inside so that he sees his house again and meets other family members. All began to hug him.. Now the situation is that older cat has come to know that I have a six month old kitten at home and he growls at him (though I kept little one inside the room). And the little one is also afraid hearing him make a big sound...he hides under the bed.

Please advise as what to do...Older one wants to live inside the house. But at the same time he growls at the lil one...I am keeping currently the older one in my back yard but he insists on coming inside and to my room. I do not want that little one gets disturbed and any harm is done to him by the older one as I love him too (infact since his mom died I take extra care of him). Winters are here and during winters we usually sit under the sunshine at our garden and I do not want that little one shivers inside. Little one loves to play in the garden chasing butterflies and birds...and also takes a nap under the sun..... I am afraid that older one will attack the little one and I do not want this. How can they both live together peacefully. Please tell how to handle both.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, you should keep them separated and get your old cat to the vet for a thorough checkup and to rule out any chance of him picking up any diseases and/or parasites.  Then, read the introduction threads at the top of the forum to introduce the 2 kitties to each other. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Stephanietx...