What to do Kitten with cut tail

farin70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi . i ve found kitten in our yard of about 6 months with her tail just recently cut. It does not have active bleeding but i saw blood on it. What shoul i do?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you say cut tail, do you mean a cut on the tail or the end of the tail cut off? 

If there is no active bleeding, the best you can do is prevent infection. Clean the wound with warm water and put on some plain neosporine (without pain killers or extra stuff mixed in). There are a lot of different antiseptics out there that are also safe, including betadine or medical grade honey. But neosporine tends to be the cheapest and easiest to find. Unless the wound is deep a bandage isn't needed; cats tend to heal skin wounds fairly quickly. If the wound is already scabbed, personally, I would remove the scab to clean it properly and make sure an infection doesn't settle in. 

Keep an eye on the kitten and take it to the vet if you notice a lack of appetite, pus, redness at the wound site, swelling at the wound site, vomiting or lethargic behavior as these are all signs an infection got hold at the kitten may need vet care to treat it.