What to do for a fever??

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tamiflu is working well on the flu strain A. But it has to be started within the first 24 hrs of symptoms appearing. we had some kid test positive for it, get treated with tamiflu and be back at school in 48-72 hours - looking good, not pushed back to school y parents.

Hydration is the major issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His temperature is still at 101. I was sure it would have broken by now

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that fever is a good thing. Viruses can't live through heat, so his body is fighting them off. The fever makes you feel miserable, yes, but if you continually take meds to reduce the fever, you will be sick for a lot longer.

I recommend lots of water, when he's tired of it or it doesn't taste good, add a splash or two or white grape or apple juice to add some sweetness. Water helps your body manage the fever, and you need water for your body to be able to get back to normal temps. Sometimes people will drink more liquids if you give them a straw.

If the fever gets too high, take his blankets and pajamas off and let him cover with only a top sheet. Turn the heater off and open a window if necessary to get the room cool. You can give him a warm (not hot) wet cloth for his head. The warm cloth will open up the pores and allow heat to escape through his skin. (Don't use cold since that will have the opposite effect.)

Don't push food; juices and smoothies are good and will keep his body fueled. If you make the smoothies, add protein powder and vit C powder if you want. Sweeten with concentrated apple juice; don't let him eat refined sugar since it suppresses immune function.

I've gathered this info from doctors and two trips to the emergency room with a kid whose fever likes to spike to 104 and above and won't respond to meds.

I just listed all the stuff here; I'm not implying that you aren't doing it already. Just an info dump.
Hope he's better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, I appreciate the advice! I'm worrying like mad about my husband having a fever, just imagine what I'll be like when my kids are sick...

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hahah I dread to think hun!!
At least you know you're getting in some good practise at worrying properly - you're going to be extra good at it when you have kids!