What to do about persistant bad behavior

shepherdess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all.

I am relatively new to the group, joined in late June. 

Several years ago I took in two rescues, two young cats under a year who are brothers.  They had same mother and father but one was from the litter just before the other.  I was taking care of the younger one , bringing him into the house from time to time from the time he was a kitten, the other I fed outside with the rest of their family.  I did a trap and neuter and found homes for some, others were made to disappear by this mean person in the neighborhood.  So to protect the older brother I brought him into the house. The brothers are very close.  My plan was to find a good home for the older brother, Bo, once I moved, and I had always planned to keep the younger one, with whom I am close.  Well, several years later I still have not moved inspite of trying so hard to do so.  I wanted to move back to my home state, but housing there is one of the costliest in the country, and there is an acute shortage of affordable housing. 

I do not love the older cat like I do the younger, and he knows it.  But I have tried to treat him fairly and with affection.  When he first came into the house he was very quiet and compliant, but after several months started behaving badly.  I feel a lot of this is my fault for not loving him equally.  Nevertheless, he keeps things in a state of upset, and I like it peaceful.  He looks for trouble, I have watched him do it.  If there is a partially open door to a place he shouldn't be, he's gonna open it.  He gets in my blind spot and sneaks outside; I can't open my door for air without worrying.  My cats have a nice bedroom to themselves at night.  When he is in it he whines, the whining goes on again in the early morning.  Today it started about 4:30 am and continued till 7, when I got up, tho I needed to sleep longer.  Another day of dragging around half alert because of him.  There are other problems. I tell him not to do something and he does it again.  This has been going on a long time.  I am an older person.  The quality of the relationship with my other cat has been affected, and my emotional health has been affected.  Because I am an older person, it is affecting me physically.

The idea was to have an open adoption once we got to the new place, so that the brothers could see each other and we could know the older cat was ok.

I need help with this situation and would appreciate your input.

Shepherdess

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome again to the site 

In all total candor, and with all possible respect, this cat sounds very typical, and is just being a cat. He likes exploring and will try to get through open doors.  Cats love exploring and find it rewarding. He's not trying to be bad- he's just trying to see what's going on. It's a sure bet that if I open my own front door one or both of my cats will try to get through it.  Regarding the whining, he is probably either unhappy there is no food, or unhappy he is confined. Is there a reason he has to be confined to just one room at night? If it might be a food issue can you leave a bit of dry out for them?

As for his not listening to you when you say no... again, welcome to living with cats.  It can absolutely be maddening but they have minds of their own, and no they don't care what we want all of the time.

I truly mean this as respectfully as possible, but I think you'd be happier if you try to accept him for who he is.  I don't think he is doing this because you like his brother better- I think he is doing this because he is a cat.

Regarding the possibility of an open adoption, I've never heard of anything like that, but if you feel it would work for you, you can try it.  I honestly think the cats needing to travel to see one another and seeing one another but infrequently might be more stressful and way more confusing for them than just being separated but you have to choose what you think is best.

Good luck with your kitties.  Hopefully others will come by soon with advice. 

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good advice from the poster above.  How about play?  Playing with kitties until they are tired keeps them out of trouble.  Give it a try.  Cats are cats.