What the heck??

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was treating my kitties for ear mites with this cat ear "miticide" I bought, and everything was fine until I got to Shadow.
She's the flightiest and smallest. When I started to put this stuff into her ear, she makes sure she gets it everywhere.
But then I realized something strange and scary.
As I was putting this into her ear, she started to extremely drool. The drool was gooyer then normal cat drool seems to be, and it was almost as if the miticide was going into the ear, out the mouth!
I know that in humans, ears and mouths are connected. Is this so with kitties? Because if it's just going into her mouth, not only is it not going into the ear, but she might be swallowing it!
And the medication says nothing of what to do if your kitty swallows this stuff. It gives a huge list of what to do if You swallow this stuff, but the makers of this seemingly extremely poisinous product don't seem to care what happens to Shadow!
Now I know how to make a kitty vomit if I have to, but I don't know if she's just drooling.
And why is she drooling so much? Even as she runs away? The other kitties don't have this problem!

-Sarah of Borg

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sarah, I'm going to get our resident expert Hissy to come and read this and give you a reply....just hang on.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please stop using this on her, she has had a reaction to it. You need some panalog creme to put in her ears to soothe them. Her reaction, is stress related, and it is not worth it to use the stuff on her and stress her out like that. Talk to your vet, but I use Frontline the spot-on flea repellent. When I get a kitten in here that is lousy with ear mites, one drop of frontline inside the ear (and only one drop) takes care of the problem quickly. BUT check with your vet first before you do this, and only put one drop in the ears.

The mite medicine, I have had to many cats react to it. Some drool, some just really start attacking their ears, they shake the goop everywhere and they hate it when you put it in their ears.

I do not know how you know how to make a kitty vomit, but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you are 100% sure that she got into toxic poison. Her body will get rid of the irriatation, it will just take time. If you induce vomiting for no apparent reason other than your suspicion, then you could do her some damage if she loses too much fluids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the only way I know would be to follow the cat manual. I'm not going to be that rash though.
Anyhow, thanks I will stop using it on her!
But is it all right if I still use it on the other cats who, other then hating this stuff, don't seem to have a problem? After I apply it to them they shake there heads and try to run away, but when I'm done they act normal.

The problem is that I can't afford a vet until over a week from now. They will all be getting shots on Saturday, though. With the vets giving them shots also be able to give proffesional advice, for free?

-Sarah of Borg

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Sara-

I didn't think you would do anything rash, just advising you to be cautious is all. The drooling is a stress reaction and so I would stop using the ointment on her and keep using it with your other cats as directed.

If you have olive oil at home, you can warm up a little bit of it, and put it on a cotton ball (not q-tip) and not a lot, just a little bit on the cotton, then roll up the cotton and gently swab her ear out to help get rid of some of the ointment in there. Make sure the cotton ball is not saturated because you don't want to leave the oil in the ear, you want the oil to help pick up the ointment that is in there.

It is not a severe reaction to Otomite, or whatever you are using, but clearly the kitty is stressed out about it for some reason. I see no reason why your vet will not answer all your questions during an exam. I always bring a list of questions in with me- I am sure my vet is probably tired of when I come in his office! LOL

And I am not an expert. I am learning all the time, I have just been doing this for so long, but I could write books on all the mistakes I have made along the way.

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the vets giving them shots also be able to give proffesional advice, for free?
I would think that if you had your cats at the vet's, the vet should be able to answer any questions you have as a part of their examination. When I've taken Ivo to the vets for routine visits (for her yearly shots), I've often brought up other concerns (her dandruff, itchy ears, etc.) without getting charged extra for those questions. I would go ahead and ask away-and if you get charged for it, I'd find another vet.

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well when i say I'm taking them to the vet, i just mean the vet center at a pet store that is covered by Friends of Animals. I don't know if the person who administers shots actually has to be a real vet, or just a person who is trained at giving shots.
However a week later two of the 3 cats are getting neutared. However, they all have the mites. If I bring all three to the real vets, they would probably take a look at the third, right?
After all, I could easily take him home again afterwards. I may have three cats, but I only need 2 kennels. The two kittens easily fit in one kennel, but would be squashed by the 20-pound Stripe-miester! I'd end up using em both anyway

Ya know, when i got the kittens, I rememebered the joys of being able to hold the entire cat with one arm

-Sarah of Borg

malynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a 5 month old kitten die from using this product. He got it into his mouth somehow, I thought maybe from washing his ears and he went into anyphylactic shock and died within minutes. This stuff is dangerous, or my experience was. It was a horroble thing to see and hope no one else has to go through it. It only took a couple of minutes and he was gone. So be very careful with any kind of medication.

misstoviah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my personal experience, the cream is harder to get into their ears, especially if they hate it. Emma drools and fights when anyone tries to do anything to her, even just hold her firmly. The drops were much more user-friendly with her. Quick and easy.

sarah of borg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need to get those drops...

They arn't young kittens. They were born in April. Man, I would stop using this if I could, but I just learned that I was wrong and it'll be 2 weeks before they can see a vet!
But I won't use it on the little one, who growls (cutest growl u ever heard
) when u pick her up.

-Sarah of borg