what the heck is this plant??

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck on keeping this plant alive. Many plants I buy have the three strikes rule-actually two strikes-if it dies its out!! So I have bought this plant two or three times know and my cats never bothered it but it didn't grow well for me either. I have to be happy with the remaining 65 in my house!!

tikicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's called an Elephant's ear, it's tropical, grows naturally in the wild and is a GIANT plant (bigger than you) as it matures. Colocasia esculenta is the scientific name. I am sure it is toxic to cats since most tropical plants are.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, that's not elephant ear (colocasia), it's an alocasia - almost positive that it's 'Polly' since it's really popular and shows up in big box stores, grocery stores, and florists. And it stays a pretty reasonable houseplant size even in the best of conditions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisasha3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Good luck on keeping this plant alive. Many plants I buy have the three strikes rule-actually two strikes-if it dies its out!! So I have bought this plant two or three times know and my cats never bothered it but it didn't grow well for me either. I have to be happy with the remaining 65 in my house!!
65!!