What the "alternative vet" said about Sassy's anxiety-related piddling...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thanks, Cheylink, what a nice thing to say.

Things are going really well here -- Sassy isn't getting her full dose, because she leaves most of it on her fur, but apparently she's getting enough to help a lot. She's much more relaxed, and instead of despising me for smearing this medicine on her paws, she seems to love me more!

Lately, she's been giving me the full Sassy spa treatment, which used to be reserved for my mom: she sprawls on the table, wraps her forepaws around my arm, and gives my arm a couple of licks... then rubs her cheek across it to dry it off, and moves on to lick a new spot!
It's a right proper bath, by golly, and she does it with such loving attention... she's just a wonderful girl.

This is an old picture, but I thought you might like to see our glamourkitty...

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sassy's a beautiful girl! Glad to hear she's calming down a bit. Reading through this thread is quite amusing (sorry) - all the ways a cat will outsmart you when it comes to medication!

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been following this thread with interest because my Eponine is similar to your Sassy- she's had anxiety-related urination problems for over two years now. We tried amitriptylene (I didn't like how lethargic it made Eppie), Feliway (both the diffuser and the spray), and have since just resorted to covering the bed and couches with tin foil when we're not home so she cannot pee on them (it's annoying but it is the ONLY thing that has worked). I sincerely hope the things your alternative vet recommended work and that she can become happier and anxiety-free!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PushyLady -- Sure, go ahead, laugh at our misfortune! I understand completely...I've never felt quite so thwarted as when I've been thwarted by a cat.

ugaimes -- Thank you for your good wishes! And Eponine and Cosette are lovely ladies. Have you ever tried these particular herbals on Eppie? I'm beginning to believe that the herbals alone are enough, and the Fluoxetine (Prozac) may not be necessary at all... though I'll stick with it for now, to be safe.

Sassy has not been any more lethargic on these meds than usual, but then, she was always a lazy little girl... except when you give her a dangle toy to leap for! Then she turns into a spectacular athlete, despite her extra avoirdupois.

The true test of these meds will be when we have the courage to remove the extra litterbox we put in the kitchen for her... which we ought to do any day now, since she's been venturing into the rest of the house regularly for the past several days.

I'll let you know how it goes!