What test do I need to ask for. Going to a new vet after no help from current. Diarrhea in multiple cats

kitcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two kittens that are about 8-9mo now. I have had them since about April 2020. I got one first, and the second about a month later, they are not related in any way.

The boy had diarrhea when we brought him home and it lasted nearly a month. According to test nothing was wrong and in the end it seems it just took him a long time to adjust to cat food (he was a street cat eating who knows what). The other cat only ever had diarrhea once for a few days after her spaying. For 6+ months both had healthy stools.

They eat a variety of wet foods which make up 95% of their diet and then they have dry food I put out overnight. There have been no food changes prior to all of this starting. Both are fully vaccinated as well and both fixed. They are 100% inside and have never been outside. My house has no plants or toxic chemicals or anything of the sort. .

The girl kitty started having loose stools which progressed into pure water. A few days later it started in the boy. This was about a month ago, now.
We went to the vets and the test didn't reveal worms or anything. They had been dewormed when I got them, also.

They gave me probiotics and a liquid antibiotic. I cannot remember the name now, but it was pink. And it made absolutely no improvements, plus the boy cat hates the probiotics and it's a struggle getting him to eat when it's in his food.

When that didn't work we got a course of metronidazole. It seemed to help a little bit, progressing to cow patties instead of liquid, and a few times there was shape, but it was never 100%.

Next I was told to fast them for 12 hours and then feed chicken & rice only. That is was transpired a few days ago, and it has made it A LOT WORSE. The boy is now having poop that seems to have almost no fecal in it, it is brown clear water. He has also started crying during going and after as he frantically licks his bum, so it is starting to burn is my suspicion. Girl cat isn't doing this, but still not having solid poop.

The vet just wants to keep giving me probiotics. I tried benebac, probiocin, diagel, saccharomuyces, human grade probiotics and the ones the vet gave me.

I am sort of fed up, they do not seem to think it is serious at all. My house reeks, despite cleaning the box every single time they go, they are going several times a day though, at different intervals, so as soon as the stench clears out, someone goes again...
They go in the box but sometimes overshoot it and it's on my walls and floor, and sometimes someone will scoot across the kitchen floor and leave a streak of poop. I am just dealing with poop 24/7 and I am exhausted in addition to the stress I am that they are not okay! The crying the boy has started doing is really scaring me. I have decided I am going to another, new vet. I feel I should be prepared to be brushed off again and have specific questions or suggestions.

I should say that beside this both cats seem FINE otherwise. They are both playing rambunctiously and eating like normal and drinking water. They are not at all lethargic and I "skin tent" test them at least 2x a day for dehydration concerns. There is no vomiting, or blood in the stool. They are peeing a normal amount, and their coats look healthy, their eyes, etc.

lucifur_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m only speaking from my personal experience with my new cat, Lucifer (Luci for short), here.

We just adopted him 1/4/2021. I’ve been scouring the internet for answers to his issues for weeks after having test after test done and diarrhea all over my apartment every day for 4 weeks. We’ve been disinfecting every surface after each episode, and aside from the profuse diarrhea he is full of energy, loves to play, eats and drinks fine etc.

His symptoms sound exactly like yours, and we too went through the metron route twice, panacur deworming, Rx food changes, everything.
We just got a call today he is positive for feline coronavirus, or FeCV. It can cause chronic diarrhea that lasts anywhere from a few months to a few years to a lifetime apparently, and it’s very contagious among other cats which could explain how both have it. I would see if they can test for that to help rule out that as a possibility.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We went to the vets and the test didn't reveal worms or anything. They had been dewormed when I got them, also.
Did they test their stool? When was this? Young worms might stay in the body and the symptoms might begin when the worms get to be adult size. If their stools haven't been tested for worms recently, I would certainly get it done. Normally, since April, they should have been dewormed three times as it's recommended to use a dewormer every 2-3 months. (I do think this is too much if the cats are indoors-only but young kittens should be dewormed again couple months after you adopt them. In case there was any immature worms.

I would also ask them to test for giardia and not just for worms.

Next I was told to fast them for 12 hours and then feed chicken & rice only. That is was transpired a few days ago, and it has made it A LOT WORSE. The boy is now having poop that seems to have almost no fecal in it, it is brown clear water.
This could be a sign of chicken intolerance. It's not the only possibility but definitely worth to try giving food without any chicken.

They eat a variety of wet foods which make up 95% of their diet and then they have dry food I put out overnight.
I don't know how common it is but not every cat can handle switching food frequently. Especially if they have food intolerances and this might be the case here. I would stick with only one kind of food at a time (or one wet, one dry) and see how it goes. If it doesn't work well, change to a different food then. Preferably grain-free foods with simple formulas.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would ask for a full fecal PCR testing - it will look for a variety of parasites, some that are not necessarily identified with the standard fecal tests, BUT it will also look for bacterial and viral related issues - all of which could be transmitted from one cat to the other. I believe this test will also look for coronavirus - FECV. Although there are cases where FECV can cause diarrhea, most cats who have it are typically asymptomatic, and as a result numerous other tests usually are done before most vets will conclude FECV is the cause of the diarrhea. Also, just so you know FECV is highly prevalent in the cat population in general, with most cases not creating any issues for the affected cats.

Oh, btw - ask for copies of all the records your current vet so you can share those with a new vet. They should copy them for you willingly. It might help to reduce costs associated with redundant testing, and give your new vet a clue about what has been done to date.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible they have T. Foetus, which is something that is not usually tested for in the Vet labs. It is normally detected by running a PCR, a test that is sent outside the office, and is,unfortunately, fairly expensive. But they can test for other parasites at the same time, I believe. It's possible the little stray boy carried it with him and showed no signs of it for awhile, then gave it to his sister. Or it might be something else altogether, but it certainly sounds like a parasite to me because what are the odds that they would both have the same food allergies at the same time?

In the meantime, you could try giving them S Boulardi, which is a very well used supplement by many here for diarrhea. It even helps with Clostridium