What temperature is your thermostat set?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our bedroom isnt part of the heating and air in the house, so its always cold in the fall/winter if its cold outside. It's usually about 55-60 if we dont turn our heater on - but we have to shut it off at night because we get wayyyy too hot leaving it on, and nose bleeds from the dryness. We use tons of blankets and a heated mattress pad to keep us warm as possible!!

I cant WAIT to have our house done!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I wouldn't worry about those temps with budgies, or 'tiels as long as they aren't in a draft.
The great flocks of escaped budgies and 'tiels survive just fine in some of the colder climates here in the states.

And I do not believe there is a huge difference in climate between the US and Australia, inland desert notwithstanding.
No, the budgies aren't affected by the chill. If they were, they would not be able to survive in the Australian Outback dessert in the winter or even at night. I cover them with towels at night anyway.

So, my husband and son are internal combustion engines and don't get cold. My daughter and I get cold, but she is away at college. The cats have fur and the natural habitat of the birds includes cold nights. So, I am the only one cold here.

I am definitely not
here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oops! That would be desert, not dessert! My budgies are definitely not on the menu!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They wouldn't even make a mouthful anyway

Now my bird, maybe an appetizer, but for him I do keep a warm house as he's a South American species.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a thermostat...I live in a 100 year old three-flat and we have old fashioned steam radiators, so our options for heat are "on" and "off".

I know my parents and in-laws both keep theirs at 68. We call it "keeping the thermostat set at Al Gore".

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our insulation is pretty good. It gets a bit chilly downstairs, but we generally just put on extra layers and snuggle up together under a blanket. Upstairs is warmer, and we have flannelette sheets, a warm blanket and a good doona with a flannel cover, so it's nice and cozy without heating.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

We don't have a thermostat...I live in a 100 year old three-flat and we have old fashioned steam radiators, so our options for heat are "on" and "off".

I know my parents and in-laws both keep theirs at 68. We call it "keeping the thermostat set at Al Gore".
That's interesting that you don't have a thermostat...my house is 150+ yrs old and has radiators...DH took out the old dial thermostat and put in a pretty programmable digital one...too bad it's tied to the ancient monster boiler in the cellar