What tapazole dosage is your cat on??

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am curious to find out the answer to a few questions for those of you managing hyperthyroidism with tapazole.

(i) What tapazole dosage is your cat on?? (total daily dosage in mg).

(ii) How many years has your cat been hyperthyroid?

(iii) How quickly (or not) has your cat's dosage increased over time?

My cat's dosage has gone up a bit recently, but he has been hyperthyroid for nearly 2 years. I am curious to know what dosage other cats are on etc.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
just bumping this thread up since no one has responded. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlett 001

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kind of surprised that no one on this forum has a cat on tapazole. I am trying to research what typical dosages are so I know if my cat is on a high dosage relative to other cats etc. Please take a moment to post if you do have a cat on tapazole. I'd really appreciate this. :)

Last edited:

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few cats and yet to have one on tapazole.  No thyroid issues in 16 years.  Hope you are able to find your answers.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dearly departed Kevin was on 4mg.  I think that is a common dosage as the vet just sold them to me in that strength pill.  Kevin was 17yo.  Originally, I was having it made up into a topical by the compounding pharmacy (same dose if I remember correctly) and putting it on his ear at night, but at some point I started to question if it was dosed correctly and went onto the pills.  I would grind them up in my mortar and pestal then mix with baby food.  

He had many blood workups, but they kept him on the same dose.  I was reluctant to take him as a senior to get the radio-active iodine treatment, so just strung him along with the Tapazole.  My vet was just telling me that they have discovered that iodine-free cat food stops thyroid issues as an alternative to the radio-active iodine treatment.  While that is interesting to know, Kevin is now gone - but maybe you can use that advice.  He was saying that is something new - the iodine-free cat food.