What Should I Expect?

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 5 month old little girls are getting spayed next week. I am so nervous. What should I expect behavior wise when I pick them up? How long does it take for them to bounce back to normal? They are semiferal and have made so much progress. I am hoping it doesn't set them back socially?

BriHennessey

Bri Hennessey
Kitten
Purraise
They should be absolutely fine! :blush: I know that when I picked up my furbabies after being neutered/spayed, as soon as we got home I just supervised closely to see if their behaviour would change towards eachother. I have 6 furbabies total. Some of them hissed but nothing over the top. Just supervise them closely for an hour. If you can't, I'd separate them till you can supervise. They need to adjust being at home again, especially get use to the scent of eachother and the house. It doesn't take long till they are back to being cute lil furballs. :hyper: I also have all cats harness trained, as soon as one comes back from their walk their scent changes and they need to get use to eachother again. That doesn't take long either.

As long as you supervise them for a bit, all is good! Only separate them if they get physical, a hiss here & there normal.

BriHennessey

Bri Hennessey
Kitten
Purraise
Oops! Before I forget.. Expect the furbabies to be out of it especially if you decided to add the pain medication. I took this tip from another website if you'd like to use it. :thumbsup:

"It may be helpful to scent all the cats with a strong-smelling pleasant odor that not only makes them alike but also distracts them from cat-bashing. For instance, rub your hands with the water from canned tuna, and stroke the back of each cat. That should encourage them to self-groom and potentially groom each other-creating a renewal of the family scent."

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not get the extra pain meds for my boy Shade but for the little girl Noka, I paid the extra. This is due to the fact she basically had a hysterectomy and I did not want her to be in too much pain. She was loopy for the day of her return but overall she acted like nothing special happened. No hissing or growling at her brothers (2 dogs and a cat) as she recovered.

If anything the older dog, Rebel, hovered over her like a protective sibling and kept Shade, the other cat, away from her for most of the day.

It has been over 6 months since Noka and Shade were fixed and there has been no change in their attitude.