What should I do?

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted my lovey on 7-21-22. I've kept his food the same. Problem is he only licks the gravy from wet food. I've tried brands, textures etc with no luck. The vet said to give him a spoon of pate. He wouldn't touch it. He eats a little more than 3/4 cups of his science diet kibble. I measure it out so I know he's eating. Tonight I pured instinct chicken morsels with hot water. He licked it 7x & walked away. He was a stray from a colony before he got to the shelter on July 1st. He spent 21 days there. Could he be unhappy here & want to go back to the shelter? Please aby advice is greatly appreciated

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? You said you kept his food the same as what he was eating before you adopted him, but now he is not eating it either? If he is still eating that, I would think he is just not ready to transition to other foods. You can always set down a separate dish with water added to his kibble and see if he eats any. That could be your 'introduction' to getting him to eat something other than dry food down the road.

I think I would worry more about establishing a good rapport with him first, and later focus on a food change. How is he doing otherwise?

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was a stray and hunting for himself, he might be more inclined to a raw diet.
Instinct raw would not be my favorite, I have some because I was in a tight situation, but it smelled off to me. And my cats agreed. They didn’t care for it (but the dog gobbled it up, lol).

Try a few slivers of raw chicken to test his interest in fresh raw meats. If the response is positive, you may want to head to the raw feeding forums here and learn more about making a properly balanced diet. There is a learning curve with it. 😉

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I recently adopted my lovey on 7-21-22. I've kept his food the same. Problem is he only licks the gravy from wet food. I've tried brands, textures etc with no luck. The vet said to give him a spoon of pate. He wouldn't touch it. He eats a little more than 3/4 cups of his science diet kibble. I measure it out so I know he's eating. Tonight I pured instinct chicken morsels with hot water. He licked it 7x & walked away. He was a stray from a colony before he got to the shelter on July 1st. He spent 21 days there. Could he be unhappy here & want to go back to the shelter? Please aby advice is greatly appreciated
What pate has he tried? My cat was a stray outside for 2 years. Her fav is rawz ,Dr elseys,and hound and gatos. No patent with shredded meat or pieces. She eats best on a flat plate so try paper plates. I think part of the reason is she has a small face and mouth so she just licks. Also could be because she was taken 5 weeks old then came back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. How old is this cat? You said you kept his food the same as what he was eating before you adopted him, but now he is not eating it either? If he is still eating that, I would think he is just not ready to transition to other foods. You can always set down a separate dish with water added to his kibble and see if he eats any. That could be your 'introduction' to getting him to eat something other than dry food down the road.

I think I would worry more about establishing a good rapport with him first, and later focus on a food change. How is he doing otherwise?
He just turned 2 August 19th. They gave me a small bag of science diet kibble & the lady handed me a can of SD wet food. I wanted a young kitten so on the way there he jumped down & started walking in & out of my legs. Then he laid in front of me like a welcome mat. I said I was done browsing, I'm not leaving here without him. He seems good, uses his box daily, sleeps at my feet, constantly rubbing against my legs & feet. He's not a lap cat but he will lay down right on my feet. I've got 2 water bowls away from his kibble (thinking about getting him a fountain) he loves his church lickable treats daily. Loves rolling in & eating catnip on his kitty tree.

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He just turned 2 August 19th. They gave me a small bag of science diet kibble & the lady handed me a can of SD wet food. I wanted a young kitten so on the way there he jumped down & started walking in & out of my legs. Then he laid in front of me like a welcome mat. I said I was done browsing, I'm not leaving here without him. He seems good, uses his box daily, sleeps at my feet, constantly rubbing against my legs & feet. He's not a lap cat but he will lay down right on my feet. I've got 2 water bowls away from his kibble (thinking about getting him a fountain) he loves his church lickable treats daily. Loves rolling in & eating catnip on his kitty tree.
Churo

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could he be unhappy here & want to go back to the shelter?
From what you described in your other post above, like M maggie 101 says this is a definite no, --he really loves you and has completely bonded with you :heartshape:

I am so glad the two of you found each other!

Did you have a chance to try Fancy Feast? Or Weruva or one of their other brands like Soulistic (which is at Petco), or B.F.F.?

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my LoveyView attachment 430584
That's what I use! Churu and tiki. Very handy when giving my other cat a pill. I doubt he wants to go back to the shelter. Cats do not like being inclosed in a room
He just ate 1/2 of fancy feast gravy lovers!!🙌🏼. I took him to the vet for his monthly flea trmt & nail trim. The day I bought him home he weighed 11lbs 4oz. Yesterday at the vet he weighed 11lb 8oz! The vet said he's obviously gaining what he called "happy weight" and he's obviously happy, some cats it takes a few months for them to realize they're home. I just want him to know he never has to worry about being brought back to the shelter or worry about food & that he's safe. I'm just going to keep free feeding him kibble and give him fancy feast gravy lovers 2x a day. He gets a churu mid morning & afternoon. I never knew cats chirped!!

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what you described in your other post above, like M maggie 101 says this is a definite no, --he really loves you and has completely bonded with you :heartshape:

I am so glad the two of you found each other!

Did you have a chance to try Fancy Feast? Or Weruva or one of their other brands like Soulistic (which is at Petco), or B.F.F.?
Yes! This morning I gave him fancy feast gravy lovers and he ate 1/2 the can! Please see what I replied to another comment. I didn't know cats chirped 😁. He's my lovey.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am glad your boy is eating more. What did you name him? I gave my boy Mojo Fancy Feast once and he loved it. Now I give him mostly Tiki Cat, Wellness, Weruva or Natural Balance canned food. Luckily he eats anything I put on his plate. 👍

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mommyshark82 Mommyshark82 Some cats, especially those that have been outside often need to be offered food 3 or 4 times to see that it's safe. Some who have lived outside will not touch wet food as it goes back quickly outside and they might have learned that it's "bad". In that case, they need to settle in for a few months and then try something novel to them.

I'm glad he's eating better and you are both bonding!

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am glad your boy is eating more. What did you name him? I gave my boy Mojo Fancy Feast once and he loved it. Now I give him mostly Tiki Cat, Wellness, Weruva or Natural Balance canned food. Luckily he eats anything I put on his plate. 👍
Apollo but I call him Pooka☺. I started him with Science diet wet then Wellness, then Tiki. I got some instinct & pured it with hot water. He just licked it 8-10x & walked away. I tried many textures, he won't touch pate. I want to try the Tiki mouse to see if he'll eat that. I'm trying to avoid him getting any urinary issues so I want him to get as much moisture as possible. I think I'm going to get him a water fountain but first I want to see some reviews. How'd you get your little dude to eat Tiki?

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lucky you. My husband thinks I've lost my marbles for obsessing about his eating. He thinks I should just leave him be "he'll eat when he gets hungry". I can't do that. I want to see what he likes & fill his cabinet

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is not loud at all, and the stream of water is adjustable with a little slider door on the motor/impellor housing so that you can eliminate any splashing.

Mommyshark82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not loud at all, and the stream of water is adjustable with a little slider door on the motor/impellor housing so that you can eliminate any splashing.
I just saw some videos. I think it'll work. When I pour his bottles of water for his bowls he heads butts the bottle & gets underneath the stream. A few days ago he was smacking the water & put his whole paw & half his arm in the bowl as he was drinking! I stg😂 He's going to love it!