What should I do ?

vnguyen0508

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a kitten from the neighbor two weeks ago. She is 8 weeks old and extremely playful. I tried giving her a variety of canned food and treat (milk for cat) and so far she has no problem with different variety of food. I also tried kitten-size kibble but she didn't eat a whole lot. Recently I noticed that she has diarrhea and sometimes sneezing every 10-20 minutes or so. Also as of today she meowing non-stop whenever I stepped outside the room. She has an appointment two weeks from now for vaccination but should I go ahead and see the vet ASAP ? Also should I refill her bow whenever she runs out of food (canned) or should I just feed her at a specific time in the day ? Thanks

ChrissieH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a kitten from the neighbor two weeks ago. She is 8 weeks old and extremely playful. I tried giving her a variety of canned food and treat (milk for cat) and so far she has no problem with different variety of food. I also tried kitten-size kibble but she didn't eat a whole lot. Recently I noticed that she has diarrhea and sometimes sneezing every 10-20 minutes or so. Also as of today she meowing non-stop whenever I stepped outside the room. She has an appointment two weeks from now for vaccination but should I go ahead and see the vet ASAP ? Also should I refill her bow whenever she runs out of food (canned) or should I just feed her at a specific time in the day ? Thanks
I have raised a few baby kitties, and I would try to not switch the foods too often. Especially try to stick to a certain brand and style. For example, my kitty only gets Fancy Feast brand and non-pate type, chicken or tuna only. He is quite picking though too, so that didn't help. Switching can cause stomach upset, which could be the diarrhea. If the kitty was still getting some feedings from Momma kitty, it would be great to buy some milk replacement as well and do that and add some wet canned food in to make a gruel. I do know when they are little they eat a lot more often, but only smaller portions. As they grow they eat bigger meals, fewer times daily. I would look up a chart online for feeding guidelines based on age. It's not like it has to be followed perfectly, you'll get to know your baby better and better and be able to make decisions based on your specific cats needs. I have another cat who still eats like he's a kitten, constant, if I give it. Be careful not to overfeed though, that can cause more than just a chubby babe! Best of luck!

ChrissieH

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should have also mentioned that anytime you feel your baby needs a vet, even before the scheduled appt, don't hesitate. You'll know when your kitty needs medical attention. Better safe than sorry. :cutecat:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I recommend getting the kitten checked. She probably needs deworming and may need antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection (URI). As stated, it’s always best to be cautious.

Do stick with one brand of food. With diarrhea, chicken food is better than fish. Growing kittens need wet food 4-6 times a day and access to dry kitten chow and water 24/7. As she grows she will eat more at each meal and get to a point where wet meals are 3 times a day. :)