What Should I Do?

Narutoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I have a problem with my cat and the situation's getting desperate for both of us. I got a very handsome cat from a friend that continously rehomes cats for 20 years. His name is Naruto and he's 5 months old. He was raised in the streets but according to my friend, he would always sneak in to her house and play with her and other cats in the household. Naruto had no problem at all with his previous takecarer and other cats, she says. He is supposedly be a cuddle monster.

Now to the problem: He is scared and VERY DISTANT to me. He is avoiding me like a plague in my appartment. it's been around 10 days and the situation didn't improve-hell even worsen. He generally sleeps a lot in the day. He sometimes takes walks around the house, sleeping in different rooms. Sometimes he constantly meows(like ''where the heck am i??'') around the house especially behind the windows. Once when he was sleeping, i slowly approached to him and petted him succesfully but he bolted away after i stand up to walk away to the balcony. HE WAS GOING TO JUMP. Never leaving the balcony door open again. I had to grab him to avoid a disaster. He scratched a lot but it's fine, as long as he's safe. After that, i slowly put him on my bed and slowly let go of him and he bolted away like usual. Now he hates me MUCH MORE than before and i'm at a loss. He hisses at me when we meet in any other room then quickly run away somewhere. Though, he's not an aggresive cat that's for sure. He doesn't intend to harm me in any way-i can feel it. He just wants to be left alone all times and shows absolutely no interest on me, heck, in any of his toys or anything.

He's litter trained and he eats and drinks fine. Plus, according to the vet, he has no health problems. Though before i got him he spent 2 days in a cage in the vet which probably made him a bit stressed. Right now, he comes to the rooms that i'm in with no problem but always keeps a safe distance from me. And when there's not a lot of room(like in the hallway) he sometimes hisses and starts to walk faster as he passes by from me.

I don't know what to do except leaving him alone. I had another cat in the previous town that i've lived, who now lives with my mother. He was also 5 months old when i got him and we had no problems like this. It just hurts a lot when you see he's scared from you. And what hurts more is he's probably suffering a lot more than me.

What should i do? Are there any ways to solve our problem? Thank you in advance.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's only been 10 days and by the sound of it he is still frightened and not yet used to you or his new home. I would leave clothes that you have worn and have your smell on, in places he likes to sleep, sit in the same room as him and talk quietly or even read out loud. Be patient and don't force him. There are threads on the site that offer good advice but I'm sorry I don't know where they are. I'm sure someone else will respond to you and point you in the right direction. Please keep us updated.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he might be a former feral. They are very afraid of any new stranger. It just takes time, but he will get used to you. They eventually bond to whoever lives in the house, but they start all over again with any new person. I would get him on a feeding schedule and use words he can remember like "Dinner" and "Treat". I was able to tame Demi by petting him with a long handled duster. You also might try playing with him with one of those wand toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Narutoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the replies. I put some of my clothes to the places where he likes to spend time. He indeed did lived in the streets for 4 months, i suppose he can be considered feral yeah. Aren't ferals much harder to make them get used to you? Oh boy...

He has a toy which has wool mouse tied to a wool string. It is supposed to tease but fails it's job miserably when it comes to him :D Thank you for you encouregment. I will keep this thread updated for sure, hopefully with Naruto on my lap.

Have a good day/night!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, ferals are harder, but it's only because they are so afraid. But it should be easier since he's already had human contact before with your friend. At least you didn't have to take him straight from the woods like I did.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't approach him. Let him come to you--when he's ready. As someone mentioned, if you can put a towel or shirt that has your scent near him (I put one close to the dish where I give treats) that will help.

Also, you might give him a treat or two so that he associates you with good things. But don't try to pet him--until he comes to you. He will. Give him time.