What should I do?

missym23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me and my mom clean out the litter boxes at least three or four times a day, but for some reason some of our cats have started going to the bathroom on the floor behind the TV stand, in the dish drainer on the counter top, climbing inside the clothes baskets and peeing on the clothes whether they are clean or not and one even climbed up on the stove and went pee inside the burner.

The problem is we're not sure which one is doing it, we have 7 cats inside, 5 are a year old and the other two are three, they've been inside cats for a little over a year and have never used the floor, dish drainer or stove burner as a bathroom place before. The stove is an electric stove, and when we found out one of them peed in it we cleaned it out really good.

To try to keep them from peeing in the dish drainer my mom will wash the dish drainer, dry it, and stick it upside down in the sick. To keep them out of the clothes my mom will stick an empty basket on top of the one with clothes in it so they can't get in it. I love cats, but am now starting to hate them since they won't stop peeing in places that are not litter boxes.

My mom is talking about getting rid of four of them and keeping three, but if we can't find homes for them ourselves she said she's going to take them to a pet store or the pound. I don't think they'd be killed at the pet store like at the pound if they don't have room for them, but I hear the pet store will lock them up in small display cages all day and don't pet or play with them.

Back in June of this year we fixed up the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and back room, but they didn't start using the bathroom on the floor until three weeks after we fixed everything up. Even so, could that be why they're going potty in places other than their litter boxes?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Since this is a new issues, you really need to determine which cat(s) it is and get them to the vet for a urinalysis. Stress can lead to UTIs/crystals and this can cause a cat to avoid the litter box (they associate the box with pain.)

You can quarantine the cats in pairs in a bedroom for a day and see if the problem resolves. Start with the cats you think might be the culprit.

Also, be very vigalant about watching the areas where the accidents take place and see if you can catch who is doing it.

Make sure to clean with a good enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle.)