What should I do?

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am trying to get my daughter into Scouting. She joined a Brownie troop, got her books, numbers, pins and all the other things she needs.

Two weeks ago they had an outing that my daughter was invited to. She paid the entrance fee and had a great time.

I have not heard anything from them other than the notifications on Facebook for the upcoming meeting times.

The leader was at my place of work tonight and told me how the girls need to decide by Sunday what country they want to do for World Friendship day. The next meeting I was invited to was not until Sept. 10th. I find out after I get home from work that they have an event tonight at a baseball game where they will discuss this. I was only not notified on Facebook but she was standing right in front of me and didn't mention the game.

I could understand if it was an oversight but I specifically asked how the girls are going to vote on an events decision when they don't have a meeting until the 10th. All I received for an answer was a bunch of mumbling.

I guess I am just saddened that this happened. I did tell the troop leader that we were not of a traditional religion and I hope that would not be held against her.

I guess it was.

So, should we just forget about Scouting or try to find a more tolerant group?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's a tough one. Girl Scouts is not allowed to discriminate against things like religion, if you want to pursue it.

Hope someone else has better advice than I.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a Girl Scout for 8 years; I know your daughter will love scouting---if she gets the chance.
Since you were open enough with the leader to tell her of your religious affiliation, maybe you should be open enough to ask her if this is going to be a problem for your daughter. If so, I suppose I would find another troop for her to join. And, while I don't believe in hiding the truth because someone might be prejudiced against me, I might not be so open about your religious views next time. As an adult, you can deal with discrimination and stick up for yourself; your daughter is about, what, 7 years old? She shouldn't have to defend herself at such a young age. Just my opinion.
I hope you can get things straightened out with the leader. Good luck.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call her and ask her point blank why you were not notified of any events. And then I would find another brownie troop she can join.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's ridiculous that they would only update events through Facebook! What exactly is a/the traditional religion? Since when has religion had any influence on Girl Scouting/Brownies?
It is about your daughter, how important is this to her? Forget what you are feeling and thinking may be happening, but is this something that she wants, enjoys, and should be able to have. You need to step forward, make things clear about how you feel and what your daughter deserves to have as much as any other.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but I'd find another Brownie troop with another leader!

When our daughter joined Brownies, her leader was really scattered and careless and I didn't want our daughter being in this woman's "care" overnight at camp outs! I found a new leader who was great and very responsible. You might also consider starting a new troop with you as the leader; surely there are others that have been ousted from your daughter's troop who would be happy to join a more tolerant group. Good luck!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was a Scout for 20+ years, from Brownies into adults and love Scouting. Call your local council and find out what other troops are in your area and find a different troop to join. Also, you might want to ask the appropriate person at the council office if there is any training for the leaders where they discuss appropriate communication methods. With today's technology, they should be using handouts, phone calls, texts, emails, and FB postings to keep in touch. If all else fails, volunteer to have your own troop so your daughter won't miss out on the fun!

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was a girl scout for all of one week, so no experience, but I do know that my Boss's daughter's teacher is constantly sending out emails explaining absolutely everything they are doing, when money is due by, how much, and I mean, really has her stuff together. So, .. if you can't get a straight answer out of someone who is supposed to probably have a badge in communication, I would seek another troop. :T

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give her the benefit of the doubt. If she didn't want your daughter in the troop she wouldn't have mentioned anything in the first place. Maybe when you asked how the decision was going to be made before the next meeting, she was distracted. Maybe she figured you already knew or maybe the question just didn't sink in. I know facebook has been doing strange things lately. Just last week I sent a message to my husband and it's still lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Girl Scouting is a great experience. I was in it all through grade school and my mom (also our leader) was involved on a council level for 20+ years. Of course, I went to a catholic school so the majority of the members were of the same religion but we also had members who had other beliefs which was really cool. I remember Girl Scouting as being more about values and helping others, rather than any particular belief. But I guess it's all up to the leaders of that troop.

I would call or email the leader and explain you didn't get the message on facebook and see where it goes from there. If you get a cold shoulder then definitely look for another troop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think part of it is she feels threatened by me for some reason. We were talking before all this went down on how the troop could go on a hike. I volunteered to lead the troop along with my daughter at a trail that we know like the back of our hands. I basically volunteered to "lead" the troop because I know where the "buggy" places are and where the interesting places are. I discussed with her how we could print out maps so the girls can learn how to read them.

I do alot with my daughter. We usually go hiking twice a week on my days off during the summer. We fish, try to do crafts although I suck at them and cook. She has probably already fulfilled all the requirements for half the badges.

Regarding our religion...I don't know how to describe it. I am part American Indian and I do many nature worshiping things. We worship nature and all Mother Earth brings us. We also practice being kind and treating people as we want to be treated..not just in words but also by actions.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The leader may have no problem with your religion at all. It may be she thinks you're trying to 'take over' the troop. I hope you can work this out. Every troop I ever belonged to had a leader and an assistant. I always thought it was a huge job for one woman to take on, and the assistant was definitely needed. You would think the leader would appreciate your help; maybe she thinks you stepped on her toes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am pulling my daughter out of that group. For World Friendship Day, my daughter's group has Japan. Great!! We know a tiny bit of Japanese and would love to learn more about the culture.

Not so great...they are just making sushi candy from some April Fools website.

I am sorry to say that in my area Scouting has become a babysitting service. I enjoy my children to much to subject them to that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would give the person the benefit of the doubt.