What should I do? - Off topic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am suppose to hear back from the cops either today or tomorrow on the outcome of them going and investigating the dog. If the cops say the dog is fine I will cause hell, trust me. It isn't bc the lady has cancer he isn't being taken care of, I found out from a neighbor he has always been neglected. He can't be more then 3 years old and he is sooo sweet! I am terribly afraid of retaliation.

I went and talked to the lady that runs the dog shelter to find out the real scoop on what is going on. The just of it is if people don't get their way they quit and hardly show up to meetings and say they will help but when it comes time for them to actually do something they wont do it. It is all for show so they can say they are on the board or whatnot. I also found out that there isn't an animal shelter at all (other then the non working one here) for many many of the surrounding towns and ours (within the state I would say about a 60 mile radius). I WILL be attending the meetings (if they are even being held anymore). I am suppose to hear back about the meetings and more details about the meetings later tonight. I AM GOING CRAZY! I HATE THIS TOWN!!!!! seriously this town is ALL about money and how you look to the community and that is IT.

THANKS so much for all the support everyone!!!!! I WILL save this dog and I WILL change things here, it is a promise!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have such a good heart - I bet you will be the seed that begins a change for the better for the animals in your area. Maybe Twstychk's idea is the way to go - act like you're all sorry for the family, and maybe you'll be able to give that dog a better life, even though he's in their yard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiekitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been VERY busy this past week so that is why I have not posted AND I finally got to speak to the police today. The police officer said the dog can get into the garage and it had food and water in the garage (I have never snooped in their garage for obvious reasons) so there is nothing the cops are going to do. I have been bringing him treats but they are nutrient rich. He is pretty much skin and bones, his stomach is sunken in, I do not see how the cops missed it. Looking at him he doesn't look THAT skinny because he has longer fur, but if he would have touched the dog he would have noticed it right away. I wonder if maybe he has worms since he does have food? Doubtful.... they prolly feed that dog twice a week and the cop so happened to show up on the day he got fed. I did not make the doghouse bc I wanted to know what the police had to say (in case they were going to have to get him different shelter). Also, it costs the same amount for me to make a doghouse and to buy one and there is a GREAT one super insulated that I am going to get now since I know the cops are pointless. The lady was very nice though and said that "feel free to call" if there is another problem. Still am unsure what to really do. I would like to go to the family, but I really do not feel that it will work at all. I am just going to take care of him without the family's consent..... and there seems to be this um.... dog napper...... dunno who it is but I hope maybe he will be dog napped soon..... and brought to a way better home..........

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you take the dog to the SPCA and tell them you found him as a stray and couldn't find the owners? I don't think the chip should matter in that situation, and if they neglect the dog that bad I doubt it even has a chip at all. Good luck, and I hope it works out and the dog gets help. The cops sound pretty useless.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I volunteered for a local no kill shelter when we heard of a dog in very similar condition to what you described. We contacted the owners and very firmly explained the situation to them, then asked for the dog to be turned over to us. They did it and the dog found a fabulous home.

There are a lot of individual rescue people out there not related to the "shelters". One way to find who they are is to go to Petfinder.com. Do a search for your zip code and find the names of the adoption groups in your area. Call every last one of them and see if they can talk the owners our of their dog.

If the woman has cancer and is going thru chemo, the family might want the burden of this dog off their hands right now. Her illness might actually work in your favor.

You are an angel for trying to help!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is one of the reasons that several cities in our area (including Fort Worth) have laws against chaining a dog outside.

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

This is one of the reasons that several cities in our area (including Fort Worth) have laws against chaining a dog outside.
We have a law like that, stating that you cannot chain a dog outside for more than 15 minutes unless you are out supervising the dog.