What should I do during building work?

annagy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a cat I love very much called Parsley. He was a rescue cat and he is very loving and friendly if he knows you, but a real scaredy cat otherwise. I am having my bathroom refurbished in the New Year and it is going to take about 2 and a half weeks. My place is quite small, and one option I have is to lock him in the dining room and kitchen all day where he can continue to go in and out to the garden (I'm in the UK and the garden is safe for him). I have very nice builders and explained about Parsley and they understood, but I do worry about them leaving doors open by mistake, etc. It has also  just dawned on me that some of the bathroom equipment will need to be stored in this space, so there will be strange men having to go in and out of it occasionally. Also, I've been told that at least the first few days while they remove the bathroom will be noisy. My cat loving friend around the corner has offered to take her cats to her parents (where they go regularly), and to have Parsley for the duration of the work. She cat sits him when I'm away and knows and loves him. He would have to stay locked in her house, but she only works part time and would be there a lot. My dilemma is, would he be happier staying in his home and territory with me, even with builders in, or would it be kinder to put him through an upheaval and take him to take him to my friend's house? Also, as she has two cats, her house will smell of other cats to him, I guess. I would miss him terribly if he goes, but I want to do the best thing for him. Has anyone experienced building work with cats? Your views are appreciated.

Anna

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

We had our windows and doors replaced the same week we were cat sitting for another TCS member, of all times, and sending all three to my in-laws wasn't really an option. What we did was confine Jamie to one room and her two to another during the day, with visits, food, water, litter boxes, a Feliway diffuser and a radio tuned to a classical music station. The doors were locked so that nobody accidentally let them out, and we switched rooms as needed. They were all surprisingly unfazed by the banging, footsteps and unfamiliar voices and very eager to check things out once the workers were done each day.

Last week we had new garage doors installed, which was pretty loud, so Jamie got the Feliway and classical music again.