What should I call my cat?

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry this is not a health issue but it isn't relevant to any of the five forum topics so I didn't know where to put it.  So far I've had six little furbabies: 1 Egyptian Mau, 1 Tuxedo, 3 blacks, and 1.... I have no idea.  That's what my question is: What am I supposed to call this cat? What is his breed/type?

I thought gray tabby was right but when I google that it's not what he looks like.  He has a sturdy bone structure, not small; he's 10-11 pounds at a healthy weight.  And he was up to 9 pounds when he was only 5 months old - we thought we might have a little gray lion by mistake!  But around 6 months he stopped growing.

When he was a kitten he was pretty severely striped head to toe, light gray and dark silver.  By the time he was about a year that faded to subtle but still noticeable lighter gray/darker gray stripes.  He's got white paws, white ear tips, and a white throat (but not belly).  His fur is very thick and fluffy, but not long hair.  He's practically got a layer of down, so dense that you cannot see his skin even when trying to push his hair apart.  He is my baby and I've had him over 4 years and I have no idea what color his skin is.

I got him from a tiny Chinese pet shop (don't judge me) so who knows what his breeding was like.  Is he a gray tabby mixed with a maine coon or something?  Definitely larger than average and fit for cold weather.  Anyone have any ideas?  I don't have a camera now but will try to add pictures later.

Thanks!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His breed would be domestic short (or long) haired cat.  His fur pattern would be a tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

His breed would be domestic short (or long) haired cat.  His fur pattern would be a tabby.
Yeah I knew he technically was DSH but that's just a bit boring.  His thick warm fur is so distinctive from my other cats (and his mass) so I just thought maybe he's got something else in him.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
http://www.photos-public-domain.com...5/gray-tabby-cat-with-green-eyes-close-up.jpg

This isn't my boy but I found this online and it's pretty much what he looks like, but he has a much broader snout. So I guess gray tabby is about it.

But I'll keep telling myself that somewhere a few generations back a bobcat snuck into his genes because he is in general a little more badass-looking (and cold-resistant) than all the pictures I see.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes of course.  I usually address him as boy, my little boy, little prince, etc.  He lacks nothing in affection for sure.  

And after reading this site's page about maine coons, I have no doubt that he's got that in him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call him "Handsome".  There's nothing wrong with being a domestic short-haired tabby cat.  They're wonderful cats.

lightblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, I do call him handsome among other sweet things. I was just wondering if there was some specific way I can describe him to people who haven't seen him.

I assure you he gets all the loving and terms of endearment that he can handle, I treat him like my son. So no worries on those grounds, I largely posted this thread just because I want to tell the world about my little boy :)

Last edited by a moderator: