What should I buy before getting the kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am overwhelmed with all the information, which is exactly what I wanted!

Can I find the Natura line of cat foods at a large pet supply store (like Petsmart or Petco) or can I order it online? I don't think there are any independant places around us. Are there any good natural cat foods that I can either get at Petco/Petsmart or order online that aren't too extremely expensive? I definately want to get a good quality food to help with the odor and overall health of future kitty.

I have found a good vet, with the recommendation of some work collegues, so that (being my priority) is all set.

Now I just have to keep myself from adopting future kitty now....must be patient and not give in to the childish impulse to go get future kitty this weekend!

bagels'mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can't find Natura or Felidae at Petco's, Petsmart's, etc, unfortuneately. Some Petco's carry Eagle Pack, and I believe that Petco and Petsmart both carry Bue Buffalo (not all of them do though). Eagle Pack is my preferance of the two, but I'd reach for Bue Buffalo wayyyy before resulting to Nutro and wayy wayy WAY before reaching for something like Science Diet or Iams. And I wouldn't even consider reaching for Purina LOL

As far as I've heard petfooddirect is a good place to order pet food from, over on a dog forum I'm on a couple people order from them and they've had good results. I'd go with that option if possible.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Miss:

THANK YOU FOR RESCUING AN ADULT CAT!!! You'll never regret it, and the unconditional love and loyalty you'll receive will make a true believer out of you! (PSSSST! Two is better than one; they keep one another company when you're gone, and give twice the love!) I don't know about that litter suggestion, though that is the rule with food -- what they have been eating should be mixed with whatever new food you buy, gradually reducing the old food over the period of a week until it has been completely replaced by the new varieties you have chosen. I strongly recommend only feeding a premium food such as Nutro Max Cat or Complete Care, for example; supermarket and bargain brand foods contain inferior ingredients which are not good for cats and may ultimately end up costing more in terms of health issues! and premium food is high quality without fillers, so you end up having to feed less than you would with a bargain type. Petco, PetsMart, and many other "pet" supply stores carry premium foods.
You may also want to get a nice, soft cat bed, a permanent scratching post tall enough so your cat(s) can stretch full length to exercise their claws (and claws are like our fingernails, necessary and normal for a cat to have! Declawing removes not only the claw, but is like removing a person's finger up to the first joint. It is NOT normal or good. Cats need their claws!), some corrugated cardboard, catnip-laced scratching pads, some safe toys, and some interactive toys such as Cat Dancer, Da Bird, or Feline Flyer, that you play with with your cat(s). Food and water dishes, preferably stainless steel, maybe a washable plastic placemat for underneath these, and litter tray are must-have basics, as well. GOOD LUCK, and HAPPY ADOPTION!

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gizmo, although declawed in front, adores her wall mounted scratching post. It's made of sisal and can be adjusted to the height of the cat. I recommend this in addition to the cardboard, angled models, and one really good 'kitty palace' or perch. Gizmo's pictured here inside hers; it has three cups, and she likes to sit in the topmost one!

Petfooddirect.com is the best place to buy quality cat food; I get most of my stuff from there and they are reliable and good value for money.

good luck with your new furry friend!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

So I am getting a cat for Christmas (read post below). I am spending the next few months researching what I need, who to call, where to look and what to look for. I am definately adopting an adult (young adult) cat and was wondering what I should have already purchased before we bring the future kitty home?

For example, should I already have litter box ready or wait and see what they use at the rescue/foster/adoption place(I had read I should mix whatever they use there with the actual litter I am going to use and wean them off the old stuff)? What are the basics I should have set up before we bring the cat home?
I cannot add to what has already been said except for just a small complaint. I bought Persi the most lavish comfortable bed the store had prior to bringing him home. He has yet to ever be seen sleeping in it as he much prefers our bed, empty boxes, open drawers, and of course the bathroom sink.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's true...

In bed with us is where cats belong!!! But it's nice to have one or more nice "cat beds" around the place, just in case...

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I mentioned a perch or not, but Gizmo's shown here sleeping happily in her 'kitty palace'--three variously-sized perches at different heights with semicircular backs that keep the cat from falling off. There are two sisal-covered scratching posts and a toy mouse attached to one side; Gizmo can hide at the base behind the three pillars. She adores this toy. Most cats like to be 'tall' and a perch like this will repay its admittedly high cost by keeping the cats off your good furniture.

friskie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by MissintheSouth

So I am getting a cat for Christmas (read post below). I am spending the next few months researching what I need, who to call, where to look and what to look for. I am definately adopting an adult (young adult) cat and was wondering what I should have already purchased before we bring the future kitty home?

For example, should I already have litter box ready or wait and see what they use at the rescue/foster/adoption place(I had read I should mix whatever they use there with the actual litter I am going to use and wean them off the old stuff)? What are the basics I should have set up before we bring the cat home?
I would get a large COVERED litter box, whatever litter you feel is best (I suggest Tiday Cats Clumping litter) food dishes, food, treats, cat nip, a bed, toys, and a brush/grooming tool, and a scratching post.

Sounds like a lot, but it's all the basics you'll need. I elevate my cats food so it's easier on him to eat so that he doesn't have to bend down his whole life because that could lead to injury in his older years.

GOOD LUCK!