What Should I Be Feeding My 8-week-old Kitten?

SerenaBlackmore98

proud kitty momma <3
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone,

So I just rescued an 8-week-old kitten last week, and have been feeding him Whiskas Perfect Portions

Seeing as this is my first time taking care of a kitten this young, I just want to make sure I'm not feeding him something I shouldn't be. Is this good for him or should I change cat foods? Also, if this isn't what I should be feeding him, I would appreciate any and all suggestions/recommendations!

Thanks! :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You want a cat food specifically labeled for a kitten. Kittens have slightly different nutritional requirements than adults due to their rapid growth. Wet food is the best option due to its higher water content and (generally) fewer fillers than dry food.

I see that you are based in Canada. There shouldn't be much trouble finding a good food. I did a quick search through the Canada PetSmart website. But really any wet food labeled for kittens is suitable. You can also do one labeled "All Stages" but if it says "adult" or is unspecified stay away until your kitten is older.

Canned Cat Food: Wet Cat Food Brands | PetSmart

If you want to be more specific, look for foods with named meats, no grains, limited starches, no carrageenan, no guar gums, no gums (although that one is harder).

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Kitten that age will need lots of good food :) With my kittens i always gave them wet food as often as i could, 5 or 6 times a day. With wet food i either used kitten formula, or all life stages. try different proteins and textures as well, hopefully he will like them all.

And i left kitten kibble out all the time. Not sure if you have Merrick in Canada? that was my go to dry food for kittens. no danger in over feeding one at that age, let him eat. That and a good vet check as soon as you can, and he should be a happy healthy kitten :)