What raw foods do you

pandapaws23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give cats? I'm not sure If this counts but I gave my kitty chicken bones but they were cooked does it matter if its cooked or not?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AVOID COOKED CHICKEN BONES or any cooked bones. Cardinal rule. They splinter, can cause real problems. Other more knowledgeable, experienced posters will second/third this.
And offer more concrete suggestions. Shout out to Aunt Crazy, who is actually quite sane.
I transitioned Ritz to raw about a month ago. She's loving it. (Hating FLUTD, but that's a topic for another post). I started off with commercial raw (Primal has a sampler package, four flavors), then half CR half Frankenprey, moving towards mostly Frankenprey once I do the math and get organnized.
Right now it's mostly chicken and beef, introduced pork yesterday (bit hit). Don't forget organ, liver and non-organ meats to make sure your cat is getting all the nutriments it needs. Cats can and should eat RAW bones because of the calcium/phoshorus, but go easy first; some are harder to chose than others (don't quite have that down yet) and too much can cause constipation (I speak from experience).
Ritz is extremely finiky, picky, but much less so on the Raw. She gets bored easily. So I trying my best to rotate flavors. I'll probably still do CR, but only with a meat source I can't get anywhere else, like rabbit.
Good luck, and let us know how you do. Your questions are often the ones I a newbie am thinking about asking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandapaws23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ritz

AVOID COOKED CHICKEN BONES or any cooked bones. Cardinal rule. They splinter, can cause real problems. Other more knowledgeable, experienced posters will second/third this.
And offer more concrete suggestions. Shout out to Aunt Crazy, who is actually quite sane.
I transitioned Ritz to raw about a month ago. She's loving it. (Hating FLUTD, but that's a topic for another post). I started off with commercial raw (Primal has a sampler package, four flavors), then half CR half Frankenprey, moving towards mostly Frankenprey once I do the math and get organnized.
Right now it's mostly chicken and beef, introduced pork yesterday (bit hit). Don't forget organ, liver and non-organ meats to make sure your cat is getting all the nutriments it needs. Cats can and should eat RAW bones because of the calcium/phoshorus, but go easy first; some are harder to chose than others (don't quite have that down yet) and too much can cause constipation (I speak from experience).
Ritz is extremely finiky, picky, but much less so on the Raw. She gets bored easily. So I trying my best to rotate flavors. I'll probably still do CR, but only with a meat source I can't get anywhere else, like rabbit.
Good luck, and let us know how you do. Your questions are often the ones I a newbie am thinking about asking.
So they can eat chicken innerards? Gotta keep that in mind. So nothing cooked. Gotta remember that.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have started my cats on one meal a day (out of three total) Stella and Chewey's freeze-dried raw cubes. My cats ALL love them except Pipsqueak
. I wet them down and they chow down. Great for treats too. I also started feeding my dog Bravo raw packaged dog/cat meats. Two of my cats love it so far. Wendall and Perkins.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pandapaws23

Give cats? I'm not sure If this counts but I gave my kitty chicken bones but they were cooked does it matter if its cooked or not?
Before you give your kitty any more "people" foods, please take a look at the following:

Highlevel raw feeding guidelines, TCS thread Natural Diet Information Resources or CatCentric.org's very detailed article A Frankenprey / Whole Prey Feeding Guide.

Dr. Pierson's CatInfo.org ground raw feeding article Making Cat Food.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

In the meantime, keep a close eye on your cat - if she goes off her food (stops eating), starts visiting the litter box more frequently than normal, starts vomiting or you see blood in her stool, take her to your vet for x-rays immediately; cooked bones are dangerous!

Regards.

AC