What pain meds should I get for my kitten's spay discomfort?

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again! Totally appreciating all this amazing help so far. The vets have sadly not been the most helpful during all this.

So my littlest girl, Kaiya, just got her spay yesterday, I made another post about it yesterday because they had told us she would be sent home with some fentanyl patch which I was a little freaked out about I needed the advice on from others who may have more experience with it.

Turns out though after a lot of calling around and a confusing vet chart that I got back, she was given nothing but a pain shot that was apparently only going to last 24 hours. So I'm going to be taking her to a closer vet to my house and hopefully getting her some meds. I feel like she definitely isn't the most comfortable as she is shaking periodically. I also cannot put her recovery suit on without having her crying out continuously and what I would assume is also pain and discomfort. I tried it twice and felt absolutely terrible with her reaction so she's back in the cone.

I had a feral I gave gabapentin last summer who ended up with diarrhea for a whole month. But honestly I would rather her have diarrhea than severe amounts of pain. Is that a good option or is there anything else I can possibly ask for?

Thanks again everyone.
(Here's some cat tax of my poor love. I'm hanging out with her, but she also has the news for when I leave the room.)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would ask for Buprenorphine. It comes in different formulations. I would get the oral formula.
Perfect! Thank you so much. Hoping they have it there. It's a small town vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have her looked at again. While some cats need pain meds after a spay, many do not. So, make sure everything is going OK in terms of her healing. Perhaps, they can give her another 24-hour pain shot and see if that is enough. Also, find out what the pain shot is.
Maybe, they can give you an oral version of it to take home with you.

Get her records from the vet who did the spay to share with this other vet you are going to. And keep us posted, please!

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd have her looked at again. While some cats need pain meds after a spay, many do not. So, make sure everything is going OK in terms of her healing. Perhaps, they can give her another 24-hour pain shot and see if that is enough. Also, find out what the pain shot is.
Maybe, they can give you an oral version of it to take home with you.

Get her records from the vet who did the spay to share with this other vet you are going to. And keep us posted, please!
I definitely will, for now I gave her Buprenex as suggested by silentmeowlook. She was shaking and not looking the most comfortable. So I opted for meds.

So far she's been sleeping today. 🩷

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m glad she is sleeping now. Buprenex, I think works best in oral form. It is good that you can regulate what you give, as opposed to the long acting injection Simbadol.

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope that takes care of her pain while healing! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:
It totally did! Too well, as I expected. She's no longer grunting or looking so miserable. She was shivering too, which stopped, but I'm not sure if that's pain or the anesthesia after effects. But she's right as rain. This morning she did a few sneak jumps even when I let her out to stretch her legs a little, not desired but let's me know she's not in terrible pain.

They say they hide pain well, but this girl has been very easy to read what with her moodiness and vocalizing if she's not feeling good.

I’m glad she is sleeping now. Buprenex, I think works best in oral form. It is good that you can regulate what you give, as opposed to the long acting injection Simbadol.
She slept really well, woke up full of energy!

I'm glad they gave me the oral version too. She's very good at syringes thanks to training her with tasty water from the time I got her.
The small town local vet here is also pretty good about giving me whatever meds I need due to already being there a ton of times with her and a feral kitten from the colony on our property. Thankfully, it really saves on having to get check ups for each prescription.