What pain medications work best for multiple tooth extractions?

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Teddy is going in for a dental and it's already been determined that he'll need at least one extraction. Once they do xrays we'll know if he needs more. I'd like to be prepared for that if it happens and to hear your experiences with multiple/full mouth extractions and pain management. I want to make sure he is as comfortable and safe as possible! If he does just get the one, the plan would be for him to get Buprenex only but I know multiple extractions are more painful and would likely need a more aggressive approach. This is his first dental and I'm so nervous.

cejhome

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had one cat a few cats ago (Puddin) that had to have all her teeth extracted except for her fangs due to Stomatitis. She was given and injection of buprenorphine (buprenex) and then we were given the oral version to give her daily for a while afterwards. I can't remember the dose or the frequency, but she did very well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat was given the same as mentioned above when he had four extractions, and with just the injection from the Vet he was stoned out of his mind. We never ended up giving him any of the stuff they send home with us because he never acted like he was in pain at all. Next time he needed extractions the only needed to pull one tooth, and they gave him a lessor dose of the injectable, and didn't even send him home with any pain killers since he did so well the previous time. Of course, every cat is different, but I'm pretty sure the Bup is the standard for dentals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had one cat a few cats ago (Puddin) that had to have all her teeth extracted except for her fangs due to Stomatitis. She was given and injection of buprenorphine (buprenex) and then we were given the oral version to give her daily for a while afterwards. I can't remember the dose or the frequency, but she did very well.
Oh that's great to hear she did so well with just Bup. I had watched a video in which it was mentioned stronger painkillers would need to be used if multiple extractions are done, they mentioned a fentanyl patch which makes me nervous as my cat has had Bup before and was fine on it but has never had fentanyl. So it's good to hear your kitty did just fine with Bup only.

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was given the same as mentioned above when he had four extractions, and with just the injection from the Vet he was stoned out of his mind. We never ended up giving him any of the stuff they send home with us because he never acted like he was in pain at all. Next time he needed extractions the only needed to pull one tooth, and they gave him a lessor dose of the injectable, and didn't even send him home with any pain killers since he did so well the previous time. Of course, every cat is different, but I'm pretty sure the Bup is the standard for dentals.
Teddy has had Bup before with no issues so I'm hoping for the best and that he's not in too much pain either!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Teddy has had Bup before with no issues so I'm hoping for the best and that he's not in too much pain either!
I think he'll do just fine and hope you will keep us posted on Teddy's progress. 🤗 Our present cat had two major dental surgeries which resulted in almost all of his teeth being removed. Unfortunately when we adopted him his teeth were already in very bad shape but he did just fine on Buprenex. Good luck!

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he'll do just fine and hope you will keep us posted on Teddy's progress. 🤗 Our present cat had two major dental surgeries which resulted in almost all of his teeth being removed. Unfortunately when we adopted him his teeth were already in very bad shape but he did just fine on Buprenex. Good luck!
Thank you! Since finding out he needed a dental a couple weeks ago I've been frantically researching all the things that could possibly go wrong. I've calmed down now and hearing stories of cats who came through dentals just fine, like yours, is helping me so much 😊

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my cats that required tooth help were on buprenorphine (on the ear). They did great with it.

One had multi teeth removed due to TR and the other one somehow managed to break a K9 clean off. Turned out she was missing a couple of other tiny teeth so the dentist went in and removed any leftovers that were still kicking around.

One of the darlings had a previous bad experience with being put under so I was so scared when they told me her teeth needing fixing - but they were careful, watched her and she came out of things just fine - even being at a higher risk! :-)

I understand the fear and concern as any surgery carries risk and I'm sorry you and your baby are having to go through this... but.. that being said... it's come a long way in the past few years. XOXOXO

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Both my cats that required tooth help were on buprenorphine (on the ear). They did great with it.

One had multi teeth removed due to TR and the other one somehow managed to break a K9 clean off. Turned out she was missing a couple of other tiny teeth so the dentist went in and removed any leftovers that were still kicking around.

One of the darlings had a previous bad experience with being put under so I was so scared when they told me her teeth needing fixing - but they were careful, watched her and she came out of things just fine - even being at a higher risk! :-)

I understand the fear and concern as any surgery carries risk and I'm sorry you and your baby are having to go through this... but.. that being said... it's come a long way in the past few years. XOXOXO
Thank you so much ☺ Teddy has been under once before and came out ok but of course I'm going to worry every time!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What my vet did, against my wishes, was give a pain med injection of Metacam before sending her home, then we use Buprenex to start the next day. My kitty had 3 teeth pulled and a deep cleaning.

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What my vet did, against my wishes, was give a pain med injection of Metacam before sending her home, then we use Buprenex to start the next day. My kitty had 3 teeth pulled and a deep cleaning.
Oh I'm so sorry the vet did that against your wishes, I would be so upset. I have a couple medications I don't want Teddy to have and have discussed it with her a couple times and am confident she will never give them. I'm lucky in that I have an amazing vet though.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat just had a dental and one extraction last week. She got a long acting transdermal dose of bupe called Zorbium. She was very stoned for about 2 and a half days but is doing great now and has not needed additional pain meds. She has CKD so did not want her to get Onsior or Metacam. With extractions, they will also give antibiotics, so be prepared for that.

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat just had a dental and one extraction last week. She got a long acting transdermal dose of bupe called Zorbium. She was very stoned for about 2 and a half days but is doing great now and has not needed additional pain meds. She has CKD so did not want her to get Onsior or Metacam. With extractions, they will also give antibiotics, so be prepared for that.
I actually requested that Teddy not get Zorbium after reading a bunch stories of owners whose cats had scary reactions to it. Not life threatening, but like you said, stoned out of their minds, sitting and staring into space for hours upon hours, not sleeping or eating for 3 days straight....one person said their cat never went back to his old self weeks after getting it. I know all cats react differently but it scared me so we're going with the old fashioned squirt in the mouth Bup.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much ☺ Teddy has been under once before and came out ok but of course I'm going to worry every time!
Yup. So easy to say "Don't worry" and so hard to actually do it. Scratch that - impossible not to do it. XOXOXO

This Dental Surgeon (Dr. Fraser Hale) has posted videos and has loads of good information on his site. He is one of the best.

Loads of helpful info on his site and youtube channel:

Fraser Hale

https://www.youtube.com/@fraserhale4457

Feeding your cat after oral surgery. (link)

tragicohara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yup. So easy to say "Don't worry" and so hard to actually do it. Scratch that - impossible not to do it. XOXOXO

This Dental Surgeon (Dr. Fraser Hale) has posted videos and has loads of good information on his site. He is one of the best.

Loads of helpful info on his site and youtube channel:

Fraser Hale

https://www.youtube.com/@fraserhale4457

Feeding your cat after oral surgery. (link)
Thank you!! I've actually been watching videos of another vet dentist to help with my anxiety 😄 This guy's videos look great, lots of good info - I'll have plenty to watch this evening lol.