What odd things does your cat play with?

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been sitting reading a book, and watching Matt with his latest toy-the wrapper from ROCKETS halloween candy. He loves it. It's kept him busy for about half an hour, before he finally took it to his stash in my basement to be stored with all his other favorite toys. What do your cats like? 

jokasta

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Earplugs. :)) I had the kind that are tied together by a thread, two sets. She stole them and played with them all day long, so I caved in and just made her a present.

Other strange toys include: me (we can play hide and seek for hours if I have the time), my pens (there's got to be a dozen abandoned pens under my bed right now), aluminium foil (man, how she likes to shred it!)... and basically anything that belongs to me and can either roll or hang. This on top of her regular cat toys. Yeah, she's a pretty active kitten.

cookimonster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten likes plastic straws, a blue scarf, my winter hat, pants strings, invisible fluff floating in the air, and she is currently belaying with my purse. Sound wierd enough? Well, just to prove it, she alson likes headphones, my hair, and has an unnatural obsession with toes and feet.

Last edited:

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything! They have just found the loud toys which I had hidden, plastic bags, corks, toilet rolls with the paper still on it and the latest toy is pulling bra's off the radiator and playing with them, I have crazy cats HAHA

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anything that moves or can be moved, pushed, pulled, dragged, rolled, thrown into the air or shredded.  This includes everything from small bits of paper to 2 1/2 gallon water jugs and small pieces of firewood.  The noisier it is, the more they love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And here was me thinking you had to buy cats toys 
  But then I'm a dog person. My first cat liked twist ties  and always lost them in the couch. Sassy claimed every box in the house. But Matt's thing is the balls that Squinkies come in. The kids get the toys, and he claims the balls. He shuns every toy I buy. He'd rather have a bit of string(supervised) or a paper ball.  or an empty pop can case( the ones meant to fit in the fridge)

glenman12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
take an about 1ft square piece of aluminum foil and crush it into a ball...let your cats know what you have and toss it down the hallway...just watch..

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since the hurricane, when the house was so dark, our kitty got quite resourceful about toys.  He found a long receipt from the grocery store, that had to be like 12" long and started stalking it, throwing it in the air and then running after it.  I can't bear to throw it out now 

We also had to put a lot of firewood in the house, stacked on the floor to keep it dry (we usually only keep it on the porch).  There are a lot of pieces of small chips around.  He's been flipping those around too.  However, I'm worried he may splinter himself on them, so I keep removing them as I see them.  But oh boy, these really get him going; I'm assuming the outdoor scent of them has something to do with it.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anything that moves, or if it's something I want them to leave alone, they will play with it.  I'm surprised at all the kitties who play with wood chips, that seems to be the fav around here lately. Toby loved to unroll the toilet paper.  They also like the empty toilet paper rolls.

Here is a toy I made, I came up with the idea while cutting the handles off a shopping bag....another favorite toy.

The bags have a square reinforcement holding the handle.  Just cut out the reinforcement with the handles clipped in the middle, and then roll it up into a cigar with the handles sticking out on both sides.  Use packaging tape to hold it together.   I imagine you could roll some catnip in it, I haven't tried that yet

My cats love love love this toy
  They carry it around in their mouth, chase it, kick it and throw it in the air.  I has also held up surprisingly well, I have not had to make a second one yet.