What next!

jojo1965

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am doing everything possible to keep this 2 yo Siamese cat. We love her. My daughter is 9 swelling eyes sneezing and all the above. So to cut down on the cause I would normally remove the cat. We don't want to. I gave the cat a bath, vaccum dust and sweep mop etc. run a air purfier. So what else has anyone had luck with? Also the cat stinks. What food will cut down on that? Should have her wormed at the vet or can I do this? She had shots! But alittle skinny so I thought could be wormy. Just got her and the person I got her from was a bimbo about everything, so I am on her wanting any advice. Help and Thank You in advance JOJO

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all thank you for taking the kitty and giving her a loving home. A healthy cat shouldn't stink,  when you say stink what smells, when she uses the litter box, her breath, ???  I would get her to a vet for a check up. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean 'stink'? Has your daughter had allergy testing to confirm a cat allergy? Does she have outdoor allergies too? What kind of filter are you running? What food are you feeding? 

Keep kitty out of your daughters room. Keep all her clothes/bedding washed and keep kitty out of her room. 

ape48066

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would talk to a vet about the cat stinking and also get you girl some allergy meds (Claritin D works for me) Good luck

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should get a vet to look at her. There are different medications available depending on what parasites she has. 

For allergies, I'm sorry about your daughter. I've been there and it is not fun! I took Zyrtec all the time as a kid, but there are other antihistimines you can try as well. Benadryl is by far the most effective, but it will knock her out so it's just a bedtime medicine. Getting your daughter in the habit of washing her hands with soap and water after petting or playing with the cat and keeping her hands off of her face is going to help a lot. When dander does get into her nose and eyes, she can blow her nose really well and gently dab her eyes with a clean damp cloth or tissue to help relieve the irritation.

After a few weeks of living with the cat, her body may adjust and tone down the symptoms. That happened for me and many other people who have cat allergies. I went from taking Zyrtec daily to now maybe needing it once every 2 weeks. When I'm away from my cat for more than a day and I return, the allergies will come back for a couple days but then disappear again. However, I haven't heard of any children trying to wait the symptoms out, probably because most parents rehome a cat at the first sign of allergies. It might be that she adjusts even better than adults, because allergy shots tend to work better in children and teenagers and this is kind of the same principle, but I'm not sure. If you want you can talk to an allergist and even discuss the possibility of allergy shots. 

Be sure that she does not have other symptoms besides the swelling, itching, and sneezing. If she's wheezing at all, it is not safe to try and make this work, and you will need to find the cat a new home. Asthma in children isn't something you want to mess around with. It's also possible that despite your best efforts, her symptoms do not get better and they interfere with her quality of life. If her allergies are that bad, I do recommend looking into allergy shots, but in the meantime having a cat is just not something you will be able to do. But I'm hoping things turn out for the best!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you had the kitty? Sometimes people are allergic to a new cat because of the allergens ON the cat, not the cat herself. If you can, give her a bath. It also takes a little while for someone's body to get used to the individual cat, your daughter may get used to her after a while. And talk to the pediatrician about kid-safe antihistamines.

Yes, keep the cat out of the kid's bedroom, wash linens frequently, vacuum and dust a lot, keep a blanket on the couch or anywhere the cat sits frequently and wash that blanket often, bathe the cat every 2 weeks if it's not too horrible for everyone involved, brush the kitty a lot in between baths, be careful about the litter (I'm allergic to a lot of kitty litters), feed the cat a decent diet. Those all help to reduce allergens.

What has the cat been eating? What part of her stinks? Is it her fur, her hind end, her breath, the litterbox? If it's her fur, and she still smells bad after a bath, have the vet take a look at her teeth. Bad teeth/gums can really make a cat smell, since they lick themselves with that yucky mouth.