What new tv shows is everyone watching

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terra Nova's first season is over.

Its now finally official, Terra Nova is the worst thing to happen to science-fiction and well science period... ever!

The teenagers are painfully whiny and annoying, which is almost as bad as when the stereotypical brainiac girls is trying to impress with us by pointing out how gigantic the moon is, despite the fact that the difference would be impossible to notice to the naked eye in the rough period they are supposedly in (ballpark would be well under 1%).   And they spread BS myths like being able to tell which way North is from the moss on a tree, which is not only a dumb myth, but is a whole other level of stupid in a dense forest. *facepalm*

More importantly, for some reason we have Brachiosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Spinosaurus, Carnotaurus, and alien looking raptors along with make-believe dinos all in one location in the late Cretaceous period.  Uhmmm whaaaat?  Some of these guys are separated not only geographically but by a couple hundred million years.  But wait, that's not all, we have giant insects from the Carboniferous era in the modern day jungle.   OW! BRAIN HURTS!

Then we're supposed to believe that an iron meteorite is going to have sufficient mass and yet still explode on entry large enough  to create both a "sonic wave" (future speak for shock wave apparently) and yet an EMP that takes out all their electronics?  And if military equipment today is hardened against directed EMP attacks, why the heck isn't future military hardware, especially if this isn't the first time its happened to Terra Nova?   

But its OK, because we have a bartender that is able to produce a computer chip (we know the other chips are damaged by the EMP just by looking at it and not even testing em btw, lol) with the same hand tools he fixes watches with... never mind that even current computer chips are on the scale of 32nanometer.... apparently Moore's Law reverses itself at some point in the future, where everything is on the scale of lego blocks.

And speaking of future hardware, what the heck is wrong with their military equipment?   I have in my arsenal weapons that can easily take down an African elephant, and actual military weaponry of today would explode any dinosaur into tiny little pieces.    Yet these guys are getting eaten alive by dinos left and right, with their leathery skin bouncing rounds from belt fed fifty calibers like a German panzer division.  

Anyway, there is more and its free on Hulu.com, but I just find it so annoying that you'd be dumber after watching a science-fiction show, which are usually supposed to drop a bit of knowledge on you.   I'd be happy to just reclassify it as a fantasy show rather than sci-fi, if at least the acting were decent, but Steven Lang (the Commander guy) seems to be the only one that can act but he has no writers to give him good material.  

Surprisingly, Terra Nova was only ranked five on worst shows of 2011, lol!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/10-worst-tv-shows-2011-001127338.html
We're convinced that the producers of this show just had to say "Steven Spielberg" and "dinosaurs," and Fox immediately said, "Sold! We'll figure out the rest later!" (Hey, we got fooled, too; we actually included the show in our Fall TV Editors' Picks.) Well, they never did figure out the rest: "Nova" is a joyless combination of lazy sci-fi plotting ("Oh, this timeline doesn't affect any other timelines… because we said so!"), laughable casting (does anyone seriously buy that the Zac Efron lookalike came out of his TV mom's womb?), and straight-to-DVD-quality special effects. We'd compare it to a Syfy original movie, but at least those are so bad they're good. This is just plain bad.
Here's hoping no second season, and the money is put towards a new Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica/Farscape/Firefly or other similar type show.  *crossing fingers*

Double-bummer for me since the premise was sweet, with a world that far in the past being just as alien as space, and cool dinosaurs and future tech as a backdrop for a drama series.  Could have been so awesome.  

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I still like Terra Nova just for the fun of it. I could point out any number of annoying things but I still find it engaging for some reason. I don't think they set it up properly to be a long-running series, though. But, hey, now that their source for modern gadgets is gone, things could get more interesting.

I just discovered Blue Bloods. I like it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandma likes Terra Nova. I haven't been watching much tv recently. Started watching Dexter on dvd from season 1 right before leaving for vaca, will probably watch it again when I get back.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched Terra Nova to the end and I have to admit..... I hated every minute of it :emba: It was bad; the acting wasn't that great and some of the storylines were like whaaaaat? anyhoo, I'm hoping it doesn't get renewed so I don't have to watch it anymore :lol3: I'm OCD like that, if I start something I have to finish it. I did quit watching Pan Am tho, I think it's Christina Ricci, I don't like her for some reason.

What new winter shows are ya'll checking out? There are quite a few new ones. I'm going to check out:
The Firm (based on a Grisham novel)
Alcatraz (not really thinking I'm going to like this one, but I'll check it out)
The River (another scary show!)
Are you There, Chelsea? (Chelsea Handler and Laura Prepon)
Smash (Debra Messing)
The Finder (Bones spin-off)
Missing (Ashley Judd)
GCB (Kristin Chenoweth)
Lost Girl (on ScyFy)

It is going to be a serious juggling act with the DVR, luckily I have 2 separate DVRs to record stuff on :lol3: I basically moved back home with my parents and got a DVR put in my room for overlaps :uuh: it's a sickness!

Shows coming back that I'm looking forward to are:
Southland
Justified- this is seriously one of the best shows on TV, if you are not watching it, you NEED to be!!
Being Human
and even later:
Break-out Kings
The Killing

My fave news shows from the fall are:
Person of Interest
Once Upon a Time
Grimm
American Horror Story
New Girl
Suburgatory

Ok shows:
Hell on Wheels- has it's moments
Unforgettable- why is Poppy Montgomery's mouth always open?? i find it irritating, like she thinks that's sexy or something :lol3:

TV is taking over my life LOL I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when I have to go back to work!

Last edited:

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have cable or anything I just have a cheap little digital antenna that only gets a few channels. I think like 7 but one of them is a spanish channel and since I can't speak spanish I pretty much don't count that as one. Then i get CBS and NBC and then the local "weather only" channel. If I want to spend an hour messing with the antenna, sometimes I can get ABC to show up. ABC rarely comes in good when I do find it. Anyways, my choice of shows are pretty slim but I do enjoy watching the Playboy Club and I try to watch episodes of PanAm on Hulu. Shows that I watch just because there's nothing else on and I hate a quiet apartment when I'm by myself are...well the detective/crime shows which pretty much start when the soaps end and lasts until the evening news comes on lol.
:yeah: Because of the digital switch NBC, CBS, and FOX signals are hard to get in my area and that is with a 20ft antenna!

"Once Upon A Time". Holy moly. Who knew. I watched it on a whim last night, as there wasn't anything else on at 7, and they were re-playing the first episode, and then it went right into the new (2nd) episode.
Very clever, well acted - the actors seem to be having a ball - good writing, really interesting premise - and it looks absolutely gorgeous!!
I'm hooked!!
I have been enjoying this, too.

I have been so impressed with the new shows that I spend most of my time watching MeTV (great shows of the past) and Big Bang Theory in syndication.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
did you all hear that Charlie's Angels is canceled already?

I'm not surprised. It was terrible.  I did watch it but it was more for mindless entertainment and to see what the blonde was decked out in for crime fighting. But the acting was really bad!

In addition to what I posted earlier in the thread, I'm enjoying Grimm and Once Upon a Time. I was watching Camelot too but I heard it was cancelled, which is a shame. It was really good. Unfortunately it came out at the wrong time and didn't stand a chance at getting viewers.

I just checked and it looks like "Prime Suspect" has been cancelled:  http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/prime-suspect-cancelled-21417/

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried watching Justified at first (I thought the premise seemed promising) and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't find the characters engaging and the plot lines seemed thin. Has it gotten better than the first 5 episodes or is it pretty much the same as it was?

Ooh, I hope The Firm is good. I love John Grisham. Some of the movies they made of his books weren't so great, so I hope they do better with the series.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not really interested in any of the replacement shows coming in January. I'm just waiting for them to resume the ones I like:

Terra Nova
Person of Interest (wow - the episode before they went into holiday reruns was outstanding - hate seeing Jim Caviezel's character hurtin' - he's so easy on the eyes, isn't he? :D )
Once Upon A time
Hawaii Five-0 (I know it's not a new show this season, but I still love it.... speaking of easy on the eyes. :D )

Cannot wait for the new series of Downton Abbey to start! (Jan. 8) Yay! What a classy and beautifully written show - great acting and directing, and I love the characters so much!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is hooked on Downton Abbey. She watches it on Amazon Prime streaming. I tease her about her "soap opera" :tongue2:

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm getting ready for Project Runway All-Stars or whatever it's called.  I am also interested in seeing this show about drugs that follows a drug from it's origin to the users.  It must have been on last season and I just never heard about it.  Now I just have to figure out the name of the show (maybe Drugs?
) when it comes on and what channel.  I go days without even turning on the TV 
.  I missed Stephen King's Bag of Bones...it was on a few weeks ago...and I got to hear about how good it was from the people at work. 

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dexter..that is all.  I watch most of my shows on Netflix streaming. 

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After a little online research, I found out the name of the show I want to see is Drugs, Inc. on Nat Geo.  Actually, it's on tomorrow night, with back to back episodes, so thank you to MY4LLMA for starting this thread.  Otherwise, I would have missed it for sure.  I'd also like to see The Firm.  It's one of my favorite novels.

Last edited:

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried watching Justified at first (I thought the premise seemed promising) and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't find the characters engaging and the plot lines seemed thin. Has it gotten better than the first 5 episodes or is it pretty much the same as it was?

Ooh, I hope The Firm is good. I love John Grisham. Some of the movies they made of his books weren't so great, so I hope they do better with the series.
I've loved it since the first episode i watched- my dad actually got me hooked, he was watching re-runs and I caught part of the show and promptly had to get the DVDs from Netflix :lol3: I think Timothy Olyphant's fine self didn't hurt to hook me tho :eyebrows:
I'm not really interested in any of the replacement shows coming in January. I'm just waiting for them to resume the ones I like:

Terra Nova
Person of Interest (wow - the episode before they went into holiday reruns was outstanding - hate seeing Jim Caviezel's character hurtin' - he's so easy on the eyes, isn't he? :D )
Once Upon A time
Hawaii Five-0 (I know it's not a new show this season, but I still love it.... speaking of easy on the eyes. :D )

Cannot wait for the new series of Downton Abbey to start! (Jan. 8) Yay! What a classy and beautifully written show - great acting and directing, and I love the characters so much!
I started watching Hawaii 5-0 on DVD and was surprised ot find that I REALLY like it! luckily I have been recording Season 2 since the beginning so as soon as I finish with the discs I'll do a marathon- and yes, Alex O'Loughlin and Daniel Dae Kim are very easy on the eyes :drool: as is Caviezel- Person of Interest is a great show all around! I moved Season 1 of Downtown Abbey up in my Netflix que so it's next after Hawaii 5-0 and then I'll start recording Season 2 immediately!
I'm getting ready for Project Runway All-Stars or whatever it's called.  I am also interested in seeing this show about drugs that follows a drug from it's origin to the users.  It must have been on last season and I just never heard about it.  Now I just have to figure out the name of the show (maybe Drugs?:dk: ) when it comes on and what channel.  I go days without even turning on the TV  :anon: .  I missed Stephen King's Bag of Bones...it was on a few weeks ago...and I got to hear about how good it was from the people at work.  :sigh:
did you hear that none of the regular folks from Project Runway are going to be there? No Heidi, no Tim, no Nina, no Michael? my sister said she can't watch it without Heidi :lol3:

I have Bag of Bones recorded but haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet- debating about whether I should read the book first- opinions, anyone?
Dexter..that is all.  I watch most of my shows on Netflix streaming. 
We are on season five of dexter right now. We got season one for Christmas and got hooked and had to buy the rest.
Dexter is in my Netflix que too- altho I'm going to put in a reservation for it at the library and see if I'll get it soon there- people have been telling me forever how good Dexter is!
After a little online research, I found out the name of the show I want to see is Drugs, Inc. on Nat Geo.  Actually, it's on tomorrow night, with back to back episodes, so thank you to MY4LLMA for starting this thread.  Otherwise, I would have missed it for sure.  I'd also like to see The Firm.  It's one of my favorite novels.
The Firm is showing next Sunday and next Thursday :nod: 2 chances to see so no excuses :lol3:

I sound like an advertisement for Netflix :lol3:

Last edited:

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dexter is in my Netflix que too- altho I'm going to put in a reservation for it at the library and see if I'll get it soon there- people have been telling me forever how good Dexter is!

Wow, as soon as I joined Streaming they took it off.  I did score all seasons for less that 15 bucks each.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched Terra Nova to the end and I have to admit..... I hated every minute of it
It was bad; the acting wasn't that great and some of the storylines were like whaaaaat? anyhoo, I'm hoping it doesn't get renewed so I don't have to watch it anymore
I'm OCD like that, if I start something I have to finish it. I did quit watching Pan Am tho, I think it's Christina Ricci, I don't like her for some reason.
What new winter shows are ya'll checking out? There are quite a few new ones. I'm going to check out:
The Firm (based on a Grisham novel)

Missing (Ashley Judd)

Lost Girl (on ScyFy)
I tried watching Pan Am too, but gave up on it. I just couldn't get into it and yes, I am not a Christina Ricci fan either.

I enjoyed the movie "The Firm" and the show starts 10 years later. So I hope it lives up to the hype.  I've got my PVR set to tape it.

Unless you are talking about a new series, the show "Missing" has been on where I live from 2003 to 2006. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_%28Canadian_TV_series%29     It went through practically an entire cast change after the first year.  It was alright, nothing gripping.

"Lost Girl" is either in or has finished it's second season where I live. I love this show and look forward to each week!

Another show I love is "Merlin", but it's in reruns of of season 3 right now. Even though Season 4 has finished airing in England, it won't be starting here until February I think.  I can't wait that long so I hunted out the videos on the internet and have finshed watching the 4th season.  This will free up a PVR space so I can tape something else.