What might cause blindness and deafness....

AJsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

i registered here because I’m hoping to find someone with a similar situation who can help me. I have a 5 year old cat, from a litter of 4 ( I have them all). When he was young, he was completely normal. At about 2 years old he lost his hearing and Vision. We’re not sure exactly when it happened, it wasn’t an acute event, we just realized over time that he can’t hear or see. frankly, we were confused at first because we figured he had CH because he wobbles when he walks. we thought maybe he somehow aquired it. He looks like an animatronic cat When he walks. Also, Sometimes his head tilts to the side. The vet thinks he has some vestibular issue, but I don’t think any vet has ever noticed he was blind, and frankly (and shamefully), I only Realized he was blind tonight when I saw him bump his nose Into his brother. I knew his eyes weren’t right (pupils are often very dilated, slight nystagmus) but i thought he could at least see. So, any suggestions? I couldn’t find any resource online that pointed to a tumor that could cause blindness and deafness (like usher syndrome in humans) . anyone have an similar or same experience?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may be able to see a little. Cats hide their disabilities very well, don't be ashamed you just noticed. I have had deaf cats before and it took me a year to realize it. I would venture to say it was a birth defect of some kind, it very well may be vestibular in nature. If he gets along well, eats, plays,etc., he is happy and doing what he knows and grew up with. He is so very lucky to have you to accept him and care for him, and he knows it. I hope someone comes on that can give you more....Bless you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he were to have CH, that probably doesn't explain the audial and visual issues. If his stilted gait was apparent soon after birth, that could be from CH - and the tilting of his head is common with CH when a cat is experiencing some anxiety/stress. But, if these things weren't apparent until later, and perhaps along with the deafness and blindness - as well as the nystagmus - then it sounds more like a neurological condition, maybe even a stroke at one time.

Have you ever considered having him checked by a vet that specializes in neurological issues?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I has a cat go blind from cryptococcus years ago, a street rescue, but your cat has not been exposed to anything like that I am sure.

Don't blame yourself as blindness and deafness in animals is not all that easy to spot in the beginning and they adapt to it as it is happening which makes it even harder to note.

As his blindness became more severe, he may have learned to navigate by remembering where things were, so don't move furniture if you can help it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AJsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for those who’ve responded so far. After my initial post last night I realize that maybe his vision has been getting worse, and that’s why I haven’t noticed him bump into things this blatantly before. Im absolutely devastated for him :( up until about a year or two years old he was perfectly normal!. Imagine losing your Hearing and vision and living life just with smell!! How awful!! he purrs and LOVES getting snuggles and pets, but the rest of the day is spent in a dark, quiet room :(:( *sigh* I think an MRI is the next step to make sure it’s not A tumor.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It will be a good thing to have the MRI if you can. Hopefully you will get a definitive....and not upsetting....answer. Don't beat yourself up about his condition. I have had blind and deaf animals and they do make adjustments to their environment and seem to accept what is going on better than humans would. The fact that he is affectionate shows that he is still very happy to be with you and also that he probably feels secure. He may feel happy just resting in his room knowing that you are around and are taking care of him.

My cat with cryptococcus went blind suddenly as it hit his eyes and possibly meninges following a seizure. The URI signs were not present at the time. He was terrified and shocked, no matter what I did, including trying to get him to sleep in my arms. I think that your cat sounds as if he has some level of comfort and happiness even if this is going on with him.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you only recently noticed this please realize your baby has been navigating your house, eating, etc without so much upset that you did notice (hopefully that sentence made sense). I have one that is blind and she absolutely goes everywhere. She bumps into things sometimes and she just goes on her way. I recommend you not pick your kitty up and carry to another location because that is very disorienting to a blind cat.

AJsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I Feel so terrible for my little AJ :( his condition is basically like putting him in isolation :( his world consists of darkness and scents. every time I see him , now that I know he’s blind, i want to cry at how sad his life is. His only comfort comes from the petting and head rubs we give him a few times a day. The rest of the day he’s locked up in a dark and quiet room :( please help me try and see his life differently.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a deaf cat and a blind cat. I can give you a little more help maybe from a human perspective. My daughter could not see ,speak and was quadriplegic. She was not born this way, it came by degrees. Of course it hit me very hard to think my precious child would always be in the dark, unable to tell me of any thoughts, fears or pain and be unable to even signal any distress. How could I possibly help her? What could I even offer her in life? As it turned out, I could offer her the things I discovered were going to make her life okay. Love and happiness. If they are loved and happy then life is good. Can any of us have better than that? If they are happy then the pain or fear is not overwhelming them. If they are loved then they feel secure, content. If we love them, we give them comfort, care and we provide all we can. I would have wished a different life for my child but who is to say that if she could have seen or spoken she would have been a happier person? My daughter went on to live a very full life. She smiled and laughed. Each morning I was greeted with simple joy from her. Those things were my signals that she was feeling good and all was well. She taught me what is most important in life. I kept her involved in an active life. Play when she was young and as she got older, time around her peers. She became a fixture among the local college kids later and inspired a local photographer to entitle a photo of her,” Keeper of the Spirit”. It went before Congress as an example of the love and joy that can emanate from someone who is very disabled. Her purr was laughter and smiling responses to every kiss and snuggle. We always imagine how awful it must be to be unable to see, hear or speak but to those who cannot, I learned that their world is very different and they know only what they have, not what they don’t have. Acceptance may even be easier for a kitty because of heightened sense of smell. I don’t know if I am explaining this well but please understand that if your kitty is loved, comfortable and seems happy, he is happy. If he is happy then you have already given him the best thing that anyone can give. I hope he will keep giving you kitty laughter through head bumps and purrs. Thank you for loving him so much.

AJsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jcat, thank you for sharing your story. your experience has given you wisdom, and although your daughters condition brings tears to my eyes, I am grateful for your perspective.

I had a blind cat too, but never one who was born normal, and became deaf AND blind, his two most important senses. His life is dark and dead quiet. Where is his enlightenment? Zoos understand how important it enlightenment is, otherwise the animals get depressed. My AJ has a dark and lonely life. where is his joy? I can’t look in his eyes and give him a slow blink Kiss. he can’t hear me praise him when he tries to use his scratching pad or when he flops over adorably as he lays down. He can’t use one of our two catios to watch chipmunks and birds outside . He can’t watch his 13 brothers and sisters run around, or play with them. He can’t hear birds chirping on the bird feeders. He reminds me of how older movies depict patients in mental hospitals as just starting blankly at a wall until they die. I would rather die then be deaf and blind, why should he endure this awful, lonely and depressing life?

my biggest sorrow comes from the fact that maybe we could’ve prevented this if we hadn’t simply taken the vets explanation that his wobble and ataxia was from an inner ear vestibular issue which couldn't be helped. Maybe he has a thiamin deficiency that caused this to happen (even though his blood work didn’t show any abnormalities). Did I allow my little AJ to enter this hell? I can’t help but feel like we watched idly as his life turned dark :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don’t give up. First, maybe a deficiency can be treated and perhaps there could be some improvement.
I did not know my daughter was losing her vision either. She was unable to tell me and seemed to look right st me. That made me view her condition as much worse but she did not seem depressed by it. It was hypoplasia of the optic nerve. Once it was gone, her vision was gone. The news was devastating but there is thought that some colors can still be perceived. The heat put offvis different from other colors. I believe she did perceive some of the hotter colors. Her other sense became heightened. Touch was very important to her and will be with this kitty. Vibrations carry sound too so not all sound is lost. He can still feel the breeze on the Cato, feel the warmth of the sun on his fur, he can still smell the birds and snuggle his siblings. He knows them by their scent and can still feel their affectionate licks. You can still
Praise with chin scratches or long petting massages. Concentrate on things like relaxing massage, scent stimulation and you can put a paw in your throat to let him “hear” through vibration as you talk to him. I know that works as it is often used for those who cannot hear or speak. It is used to help learn speech. There are may therapy options that can give him a fairly normal life. It may take learning about these little tricks to help him but there is a lot you can do to make his life full and satisfying. Let him listen, feel and smell. Cat fur is great for sensing breeze and absorbing light, heat. as well as picking up vibration. Whiskers are built as sensors. Give it time. Don’t despair. There is hope. :redheartpump:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one thing you must not forget - cats do not appear to dwell on things like this, as humans do. We mourn a loss like sight or hearing, cats have the wonderful ability to accept, adjust, and adapt - far faster than we could ever hope to. You are feeling the pain for both of you, but work to lessen those feelings as much as you can. Even cats that see and hear have the ability to sense pain and worry in their humans, so try to set those aside and help him get along as he is. All of his other senses are heightening, including the one where he can sense your sorrow.

AJsDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little update for anyone who might find this post in the future with a baby who has a similar problem. AJ has an MRI done last week and a spinal tap. It turns out that he doesn’t have a tumor. The neurologist feels he has what’s a cerebellum disease where his cerebellum is underdeveloped or malfunctioning. its Possible he had a long standing coronavirus infection or FIP. Whatever caused it, his spinal tap was clear, so it’s long past. This is most likely a genetic defect. The neuro Thinks he’s not in pain , so as long as he functions and seems content, we leave him be. If his quality of Life is affected, we will have a decision to make. Thank you all for your well wishes and true concern; for AJ and for myself.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! While it may not entirely be what you wanted to hear, it sounds like AJ will do just fine! In the long run, that is all that counts.