What Makes It Christmas?

aiko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. the first snow fall (this year i ran around the office yelling "It's Christmas! It's Christmas!! when the snow started falling. I had a few people who were ready to KILL me!!!)

2. Making Peanut Butter balls, shortbread , cherry balls & apple pie!

3. Going to Church on Xmas eve, and giggling like school girls with my sister (I'm 25, she's 33 and we STILL do this... and always have! Usually to the point where my sister almost pees her pants lol)

4. Getting up Xmas morning, and getting showered, and eat breakfast! My mom ALWAYS made us do that when we were little. I think she was a bit late getting Santa stuff together, and this was her way to gain time!

5. The smell of Christmas trees! My boyfriend is allergic.. we might have to get a fake tree this year

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1) Coming up with silly name tags on the gifts that I wrap for my husband - we give hints to the present's content on the name tag (like "To: my blues man" will be a Muddy Water's CD). They get wilder each year.

2) At the start of our annual tradition of opening the first Xmas present days in advance with my husband. We buy each other a lot of little gifts, and I start begging to open some of the little ones early. We get one present a night starting about 3-4 days in advance.

3) We throw the wrapping paper on the floor and leave it there until the cats have managed to tuck it into every corner of the house (about a week after Xmas).

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what makes it xmas for me is:
the first snow fall
wrapping presents(and cats when they feel the need to "help")
being home with my animals and friends. (my family is scattered so we dont' get a chance to get together often so we call each other on the holidays)
xmas dinner with honeys family.(both sides!)
hot chocolate

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's Christmas for me when
- the smell of the Christmas tree permeates the house

- the tree is decorated, inc. old-fashioned bubble lights like my grandmother had

- It's a Wonderful Life is on tv (though we now own it on vhs)

- when my mother would make Hungarian Nut Rolls and my great-grandmother Fisks molasses cookies (recipe in the Cooking with Cattitude cookbook)

- when the neighborhood is bathed in multi-shades of warm, bright, Christmas lights and we've decorated our rhodies and golden chain tree with lights and red velvet bows

what a lovely theme to post my 600th message on

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. Having my neighbor put up his wreaths (even on my door).
2. Driving home on the PA turnpike listening to Christmas music.
3. Coming home to a fully decorated Christmas tree.
4. A big brunch with Dad, brother, sis-in-law, sis-in-law's sister and mother after opening presents.

Pat&Alix-congrats on 600!

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Making batches of my "famous" peanutbutter fudge for presents (people expect it now!) until my arms hurt (recipe in Cooking With Cattitude by the way). . .

Crispix Mix!!!
Soy Nog
Time off from work (I save vacation days to save my sanity)
Christmas Eve (when we celebrate with family - a tradition)
My mother's Toutiere Pies (Pork pies)- also in Cooking w/Cattitude
The smell of a fresh cut Christmas tree
Cats sleeping under the Christmas tree (let's pray that Morrell doesn't think it's for climbing. . . his 1st Christmas w/us and in a real home).
The smell of scented Christmas candles
Poinsettias! (yes I know they are toxic to cats even if they are considered safe for humans now)
Midnight Mass - we always freeze on the way (especially if we wear dresses). . . and try to stay awake. . . but it's worth it!
Christmas music (although it's been overplayed this year!!)
My little Christmas notebook. . . . that I try to hide from my children. . . where I keep track of the gifts that I buy for everyone each year.
My lengthy traditional Christmas Newsletter which I've been writing since my kids were babies. It will probably be a novel one day!
Setting up the manger. . which Molly thinks she can sleep in!
Filling the stockings and placing the gifts under the tree after my kids finally go to bed.
And of course. . . . the AFTER Christmas sales. . . . where I scarf up all the wrappings for next Christmas!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas lights, particularly the native "lantern", hanged on the front of every home.
Christmas carols.
Children visiting their godparents to receive gifts and blessings.
Church bells tolling at dawn to announce the "misa de galleo" beginning a week before the 25th.
Christmas office parties and the 13th month paycheck!
Exchanging of anonymous gifts among friends in the tradition we call "kris kringle". The identity of the giver is revealed on an agreed date.
Lots of family get-togethers and lots of food; which means a hard time sticking to a diet!

superkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I loved reading everyone's responses!!!

Cinnamon, in cookies and candles especially.
Christmas songs.
Pine garlands and pine cones.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spending time with my wife, family, and our dogs and cats.

George

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Christmas Eve: decorating the tree (nowadays with JC's help), wrapping presents, hanging up and later stuffing the stockings, and baking cookies. Christmas Day: admiring the kids' (niece's and nephew's) presents, the traditional turkey dinner, eating fruit cake, and searching for the Christmas decorations JC has taken off the tree and pushed under the rug, stereo, sofas, etc..