What Kinds Of Food Do Normal Cats Like????

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has grown up eating one kind of food.
Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken.
I'd like to get her to eat different foods.
She does like Friskis Party Mix, but it's not the greatest food for her.
What human foods do normal cats like to eat????

My past cats liked normal things cats liked.
Fish, steak, Chicken, duck, hamburger, milk, shrimp.........
This cat doesn't really care for any of it.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A normal cat? Now there's an oxymoron if ever I heard one.

;)

My cats really like steamed chicken breast. They get it once or twice a week instead of their regular canned, but it's not good to feed them that every day as it lacks all the proper nutrients cats need.

Be careful offering your cat milk, a lot of cats are lactose intolerant and it can cause digestion problems.

With other human foods stick to unseasoned, garlic free meats and fish. Cats can't tolerate a lot of salt and things like onion and garlic are bad for them.

Try offering your cat some canned food, maybe with a little of her dry food sprinkled on top to entice her. If you can get her eating wet canned food at least some of the time she'll be a lot healthier.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"People food" is considered a treat for cats. Plain cooked meats and fish, some cats like veggies, etc. A small amount as an occasional treat is ok. Be aware that some people food are harmful to cats. Here's a list: People Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Some cats may not care for people food and that's ok :agree: If your cat doesn't want to eat anything you offer, don't push it.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you found a food she prefers and likes, don't change it because YOU would like her to change. My cats don't like table food either, but all like shaved deli turkey and boiled chicken for a treat. I leave out a little kibble for them to nibble on too. I have one so picky now that showed up as a stray it is rediculous. Seh is so tiny and underweight I have tried everything to entice her to eat. So far she only likes those Meow Mix single serving minced chiken breast. i can't get her to eat anything else!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lydia doesn't like much table food, except pepperoni (which she isn't allowed to have but she sometimes sneaks when my toddler leaves his plate unguarded...)

Jasmine would eat anything but she'd always throw it up. So she wasn't allowed to eat it either, but again, toddler. ;)

I focus on giving them cat food so haven't experimented with much human food. Most tend to like things with feathers (chicken, turkey, duck, Quail), and things with fur but no hooves (rabbit, mouse)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She grew up on the Max cat, but she's getting old, and I would like her to start eating wet food.
She's missing some teeth, and i think it might get worse.
Her teeth, and gums, are good. I clean them from time to time.
I don't want her to stop eating if more teeth fall out.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We usually just offer some food that we want our cats to eat, just a bite or two, and if they refuse we have dogs that are pigs and will eat leftovers ;)
Our littlest one wanted nothing to do with any kind of milk, so when we offered her some goat milk she walked away from it and the other cats helped themselves.
A few months later we still offered her a drop from time to time, and today she knows the sound of the cap opening, comes running, and would drink an entire gallon if we let her!
Make sure any cat safe people food (chicken is a good one, turkey, etc.) is served at room temperature, not ice cold out of the fridge and it's not in big chunks they have to really chew.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats have no trouble eating dry food without teeth. They don't really chew their food. If you look at their teeth you'll see they are all thin and pointed that means they are for cutting and tearing not grinding. Flat square teeth, like our molars, are for grinding food.

Once I took Sweet Gum in to have an X-ray for her arthritis right after she'd finished breakfast. I didn't know until the vet put the x-ray up. You could see all of her breakfast, and it was a lot, filling her stomach. You could see every single piece of dry food exactly like it was when I poured it in her bowl.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cats have no trouble eating dry food without teeth. They don't really chew their food. If you look at their teeth you'll see they are all thin and pointed that means they are for cutting and tearing not grinding. Flat square teeth, like our molars, are for grinding food.

Once I took Sweet Gum in to have an X-ray for her arthritis right after she'd finished breakfast. I didn't know until the vet put the x-ray up. You could see all of her breakfast, and it was a lot, filling her stomach. You could see every single piece of dry food exactly like it was when I poured it in her bowl.
When we have fed kibble and a cat pukes it up, it's always intact, never chewed.
Friends of ours have a few cats, one named Luna, because she does this constantly and their reasoning for her name is that "gravitational pull". She's like a black hole. Food goes in completely intact :flail:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
One of my rescues had to have all her teeth removed. She's FIV+ and her mouth was a festering mess. She does just fine without them though. She eats mainly canned, but she has a few mouthfuls of the other cats's dry food when the mood takes her.

Has your cat been for a dental check? Losing teeth can be a sign that something is wrong with her digestion, so if you're worried about her eating getting her teeth checked is a good place to start.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it's not popular hereabouts, but HK has made it past 20 years, most of them eating nothing but fancy feast. and our ex-vet (wish i know where she moved) had 3 cats over 20 (the oldest was 24) who all ate nothing but fancy feast.

it comes in several formats and lots of flavors. HK's current faves are savory salmon classic, tender beef feast classic, chunky chicken and flaked trout, but his flavor preferences vary periodically.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On this forum Fancy Feast is very popular :) it's actually a good food! My cat doesn't like it though or I'd feed it!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how many fancy feast flavors/types did you try with your cat?
All of them LOL. I wish I was joking; when my other cat Jasmine died, Lydia went off her food and I went down the aisle of every store in town and tried every flavor and texture. Every cut, flake, gravy, creamy, kitten, and pate. She doesn't like tuna or unnamed fish which sadly most of them have. She also only likes Pate. I can sometimes get her to eat a Turkey & Giblets or the Chopped Feast, but she will usually only eat an oz and then leave the rest. We've found other foods she does like now so I'm done pushing the issue :p Especially since they are now 69 to 79 cents a can up where I live!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
basschick basschick because I wish I'd known this when my favorite vet quit the practice he'd worked for. Google every vet in the area. Most list the vets in the practice. You may be able to find her. Good luck.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My relatively normal (as cats go) cat wouldn't eat people food if it were the last food on earth. She does eat most canned foods, although she LOVES dry, which she only gets one meal out of four. A year ago she decided that her preferred pate was poison and only shreds would do. Now she will eat either, but shreds are better. In your case I would mix dry and wet and see how that works. Ailish switches pretty smoothly, but not all cats do. When I got her she was on dry and I simply started feeding wet and she ate it. I wouldn't do that now, but at the time I didn't really know better. She's not a picky eater and she was underweight, so it was a simple switch.

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't feed people food. Mine get some maybe as a once or twice a year treat. I would get the cat eating at least 3-5 brands of cat food. Personally I think variety is good for them and also if one is a little short on protein or a certain nutrient, you get the balance of a varied diet. My cats eat almost everything I have brought home, but I do stick to 5 or 6 brands and only chicken, turkey, duck, with a little liver and a little tuna( which is mixed in the nulo cans I buy)

Good Luck