What kind of server do you like?

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chatting is okay by me, we are friendly people, but it depends on the establishment. A romantic dinner, NO, but the breakfast at Friendlys is fine- as long as its not too early!
My thing is if the food is late, the server should at least come by and say he/she has checked on them. One time, at a Pizzeria Unos, I strongly suspected he forgot to put it in. Boy was I ticked. If specials are offered and not on the menu, offer to tell them. If the salad dressing are asked for don't spew in one word italianfrenchhousethousanislandsvinagett what? I have found chains to vary by place. The local Friendly's so far has great service which I was surprised at. It is always packed too! If the server doesn't take the check, make it clear if you are supposed to pay a cashier. Stay in sight if possible. Extra napkins are appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by evnshawn

When I first read the subject line, I thought, "I dunno ... Windows XP Server Edition?"

We're pretty easy-going. You want to chat a bit? That's fine with us and feels like better service, actually. I love it when servers ask if I have questions about anything on the menu.

But if you don't do much talking, that's okay too—you're probably really busy—as long as you keep our drinks full, take the orders in a reasonable amount of time, check back occasionally, etc.
lol i loved the your probably busy line. you'd be surprised how many people dont care about that =0)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Purr

I like servers who are just being their selves and not trying to be super nice (I can tell fake-nice a mile away, and I hate it) to get a bigger tip. I don't like it when servers act like they hate their job either. One time a server sat down at our table when we were ordering and I didn't like it. I mean, I was with my friends and it made us all uncomfortable having a stranger invite himself to sit down, and then we felt obligated to make HIM feel comfortable when he came around, so we'd stop talking and stuff. Bottom line is, servers shouldn't interrupt the flow of the table, but be someone I don't mind talking to when I need to. I think it should feel like we're at home with a server, not like we are at the server's home as guests.

Oh, and the one that took a seat was um...his deoderant wasn't working well.

Of course, I don't really care as long as they're nice and do their job, but in an ideal world, they would be like I described above.
LoL i never sit down with a table unless they tell me to, like if we are closing and they see that i have nothing to do i have had tables say join us or something since they were more chatty that most tables. i read somewhere that it makes people tip you more but i dont do it because i wouldnt want someone sitting with me. i tend to lean down so that i can look in their eyes but other than that i dont do much.

oh and i have noticed that male servers dont wear deorderant.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well since I pay I prefer the waitress who doesn't ignore me and deals only with my husband. If she dares to ignore me, then she gets very little tip. This happens to us all the time. I find it insulting. Even more so when she flirts with him and signs the ticket with her name.

Other than that, I prefer a server who comes by when the drinks are getting empty and refills them but not every five minutes. I like if they ask if everything is good or not as well.