What kind of scratching post does your cat like?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a variety and they like them all:

- angled cardboard scratchers that lay on the floor
- tree trunks bolted to a plywood base - with or without sisul
- tall posts that they can fully stretch out on
- shorter posts that they can squat on
- full sized cat condos with tall posts wrapped in both carpet and sisul

The biggest hits are the ones where they can stand on their hind legs and do a full body stretch - at least 3 feet tall or more.

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats really love this one:

It's a small local product and it's great:

First of all, its extremely durable, some of my friends have had theirs from the 70's. When the rope becomes shaggy, you can just send the cat tree to repair. Second, it stands firmly without drilling holes in your house. The cat tree is sort of jammed between the floor and the ceiling with a spring. Virtually impossible for cats to take down. It comes in several colours to match your furniture. My favorite thing about it is the fact that it works sort of like legos: All parts are sold separately, and you can remove, add or change places anytime. And I even got it together without my husband!

The set we've got it quite basic, I'm plannig on ordering another tree and a cat run to connect them.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have been indoor-outdoor until lately, and what Red Cat and Purdy like best are the posts to my deck. They are of the pressed wood that has all the long slits in it. Unfortunately they were mutilating those so bad that I decided to have them covered with another board they could use as a scratching post, which could just be removed before I sell the house. I used cedar boards for their scratching posts, with the rough side out. And they do like those, too. I'm considering getting just plain cedar boards and making one for inside, but haven't figured out how to make it sturdy enough without nailing it to a wall or something.

They all also like the cardboard scratchers next best. They won't use the sisal ones.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have tried so many different types over the years but the absolute favorite for a majority of my brood has been a piece of oak with the bark still on...my neighbors burn wood so I have a neverending supply...and I nail a scrap piece of lumber to the bottom and set it in a corner.Over time the bark on one side will be gone and I just turn it so they can access the bark.I've used all different sizes of wood and the larger ones they sit on,curl up on,play king of the hill with....keeps them occupied!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a variety spread throughout the house: sisal-covered boards on the wall, a sisal rug, a few throw rugs placed carpet-side down, a scratching post with slanted sisal-covered boards on the sides, and - Jamie's favorite - a floor-to-ceiling tree.

kitten1971

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has 3 cat condos; he never uses them for scratching, only lounging. My neighbor suggested this $10 Superscratcher from walmart, it's a cardboard box with corrugated cardboard inside. My cat LOVES it. We have 3 in various areas of the house. Oh and it comes with catnip. Every few days we put a small pile of nip on one of them. He plays there, even sleeps there. And he loves to scratch, scratch, scratch.

I highly recommend it!

ccsr79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucas only uses the sisal scratcher once in a blue moon, but he loves the cardboard ones, and the rug in the kitchen

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The door facings. And not just the area in his standing reach. Ari will jump up and hang 3-4 feet from the floor.

Also the corner of Mom's mattress.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours use a heavy oval rag rug, their carpeted cat tree, their sisal post, and a log with the bark still on laid horizontally in the corner. They've worn all the bark off the vertical log tree we built - time to replace it. We scout the neighborhood at brush pickup time, find a nice wide heavy log {check for bugs!}, and screw it to a sturdy wooden base. They love the cardboard scratchers too.

If your cats seem determined to damage your furniture, you can trim their nails to blunt them & cut down on the damage. There are also nail caps you can use to prevent any damage to new furniture while you train them where to scratch.

I love Ryn's cat tree, and JC's too. One of these days I'll get a nice one!