What kind of cutting board do you use?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I use a bamboo cutting board, but normally put a very thin flexible plastic type one on top of the bamboo one for cutting meat, poultry, fish.  Have those thin ones in different colors for different things (blue for fish, red for meat, yellow for poultry.  Those I can toss in the sink to really scrub.  The bamboo board I like to use as a base under them because I just like the feel of it under them.  I use the bamboo one for cutting of vegies.  Problem with it is that I must oil it at least once a month or more to keep it in good shape, which is ok as long as I remember

I've heard that using glass is really hard on your knives (if you use knives vs scissors).  I DO use a large chef's knife when cutting up vegies, mainly.  But use different knives for different things, and DO use scissors too, depending on just what I'm cutting up.  To cut tiny pieces of meat for the furkids, scissors are my weapon of choice

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So I'm not the only crazy one that doesn't use a knife now?
:lol3: I ALSO use scissors or shears to cut up chicken and turkey. I don't think were crazy, I think we are smart!!! :einstein: OH I also use a plastic cutting board. Easy clean up.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first started using my preferred knife (the one in the middle of the pic above), being a total neophyte in the kitchen, I constantly nicked myself. A couple of days in, I sliced one of my fingers pretty good and was bleeding fairly profusely. Since the cats still needed to be fed, I kept rinsing the cut and working on the meat. Once everything was ready for the cats, I rinsed off any blood I could see on the meat and fed them.

Later that night, I was lying in bed reading when one of the cats (don't even remember who anymore) came over and started licking that same hand. Suddenly, with a shocking clarity that pierced my brain and pinned me to the bed, I shuddered with the awareness that my cats now had a taste for my own flesh, and I was being licked in prep for possibly being eaten. My adrenaline shot through the roof, my breath came fast and I thought, "OMG, what have I done?"
Haha! I can put myself into a panic attack while cutting meat, especially if there's bone involved, if I let myself think about the fact that my hand is made of the same stuff I'm cutting so easily with the knife/shears. . .:shocked:

I cut up a whole chicken for grinding the other day, and I used a knife. . .a very nice chef's knife my mom gave me. Not a meat cleaver but it should have done the job. But I was having the worst time with it, I guess I need some knife lessons. I didn't even think about using the shears until after I was done. Doh!